The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure 55SH Series II Unidyne® Vocal Microphone

Shure 55SH Series II

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Vintage Vocal Mic

26th March 2012

Shure 55SH Series II by dontfeedmecurry

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Shure 55SH Series II Unidyne® Vocal Microphone

The Shure 55SH Series II Unidyne® Vocal Microphone is a microphone I have had in my toolbox for a good 13 years - I first bought it in High School when I was singing in several bands, mainly rock and old school RnB - we wanted to stand out from everyone else, and having old looking stuff really actually achieved this. I remember dozens of times hearing people say in the crowd, "Man! Check out that old microphone! That's sweet!" - little did they know it was at the time less than a year old and not vintage at all! That's really what I bought it for, the look - in which case, it certainly does shine in that regard. It looks amazing, and it feels amazing. I still pull it out and sing with it from time to time when I am feeling like taking a step back, but I usually defer to my Neumann KMS105 these days due to it's unmatched sound quality as a stage mic. However, the Shure 55SH Series II shouldn't be overlooked in terms of it's sound quality - it really actually has a pleasant warm tone, and puts up with a lot in terms of handling bleed and feedback. Probably due to its insulation inside the case, it really does put up a rugged fight, but I think you lose out in the quality of of it's high freq response due to this - that's where the Neumann KMS105 shines for me.

The truth is, it sounds pretty good, but it looks a million bucks, and everyone always responds to it no matter where I am singing and no matter what the genre - it carries over everywhere as an aesthetically pleasing stage mic. If that's what you are after, whether it's because you're doing old school covers or just love the look, then shell out and buy one - you will have a hard time letting go of it, because it makes you feel as cool as it looks. Lame, I know, but it's true!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Shure 55SH Series II Unidyne® Vocal Microphone
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search