The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
B.P.M. Studiotechnik CR-95

BPM Studiotechnik CR-95

4 4 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Manufactured in part in the factories of Beijing 797 Audio for a german independent manufacturer.

26th March 2012

BPM Studiotechnik CR-95 by andrplx

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75

B.P.M. Studiotechnik CR- 95

My first LDC.
Manufactured in part in the factories of Beijing 797 Audio for a german independent manufacturer led.
The body is absolutely identical to the original Rode NT2 apart from the capsule protective basket, that was in the classic ‘german’ form for the Australian and featured B.P.M.s trademark cutoff corners form for the german.
The electronics are completely different, not only because the Berliner has the additional figue-of-8 pattern, but also in terms of component quality the aussie beats the kraut by far.
While Rode’s circuit board is all about Wima caps and such, the Bpm circuit is made of vanilla components.
And, in fact, the desire to open the B.p.m. CR-95 came from the fact that something in the its sound made me believe there were some body resonances to be tamed.
The mic tends to sound kind of peeky in certain frequencies up high.
Actually, the body of the CR-95 is very well damped. The capsule basket also and apparently there’s not many surfaces around the capsule were some spikey reflections could be happening.
So, my attention is now on the circuit. I will be trying to upgrade the components sometime soon with the help of a knowledgeable friend.
Any help, schematic or suggestions will be very appreciated.
I’ll try to post some photos of the circuit board as soon as possible.

B.P.M. Studiotechnik CR- 95

Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20.000 Hz
Sensitivity 20 mV/pa
Polar Pattern omni - cardioid - fig. of eight
Equivalent noise level 16 db CCIR-468-3
Max. spl 130 db (k<0,5 %)
Output impedance 200 Ohm
Input impedance 1000 Ohm
Operating voltage 48 V Phantom
Dimensions 50 x 200 mm
Included accessories Wind screen, Cable, Suspension

28th February 2017

BPM Studiotechnik CR-95 by flplr

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Hi
newly registered to geraslutz, but have been a longtime fan.

So decided to bump this old thread as I'm a happy owner of a CR-95 too.
Bought it originally from musicstore.de the european distributor at the time for about 800euro.

You might have similar microphones coming from the same factory at different prices, not because someone just wants to make more money, but because there are different levels of quality control of the different components, so brands like B.P.M and Rode were more expensive than others.

I've also used the original Rode NT2 quite a lot in a studio I often work in, and also the great Neumann U87, which of course is the reference.

The B.P.M. was my first serious LDC and I've used it in just about every type of recording, from voice-overs to rock'n'roll to classic ensembles. Including in stereo with a friend's CR95 that I eventually bought.

I would say it is more sensitive to room acoustics than the Rode, as in you have to be more careful with placement in cardioid mode, especially in tight spaces. The australian is more forgiving in that respect.
Without attention to placement the CR95 sounds easily kind of peakey and thinner.
Along the years I started to see the CR95 as actually a really fast microphone, in the sense that it actually reproduces fast transients very well. Might be the simple circuit it was known for.
So for some sources it is a blessing, like on a lot of acoustic instruments, where you can get a very precise sound almost like good SDC, to get articulation from a voice, a piano, a nylon guitar.
Percussion, I recorded a lot of “world” percussion, it became my go to mike for all kinds of hand drums,
Its a good drum overhead as long as you watch your placement, and I actually used it a couple of times on bassdrum (!), outside, where it will give you huge amounts of clean attack you can work with in the mix. Again carefull placement.
Records sax really well, specially as overhead in the studio.
Both Omni and Figure-of-8 patterns are very good, you get a lot of detail (because of the speed(?) for room ambience, great flute in omni (as close mike or room), great MS with the Figure-of-8 recording a large choir.

Anyway, from my experience I see the BPM Studiotechnik CR95 as a great tool that is a capable partner to the other greats mics.

Having found this old thread I wonder if you ever came to do the mod and what where the results.

Attached Thumbnails
B.P.M. Studiotechnik CR-95-bpmcr95.jpg  

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... B.P.M. Studiotechnik CR-95
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search