23rd March 2012

Universal Audio 2108 by analog men

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Universal Audio 2108

Put simply, this is one of the best mic preamp I ever used.

2 channels of solid state preamplification with a color that you try once, and gets addict to it.
Can be very clean with a low input / high output setting, and as you push the input (while turning down the output), you can notice this rainbow of saturation color adding to the source, in a way that very few preamp can do.

What makes this preamp very unique is that it has it's own color.
Very punchy and "raw", while retaining all the subtilities of the signal you throw at it.

In terms of features, the most obvious alternative to this preamp would be the Chandler TG2. But when you want a little more bite and good old raw harmonic saturation, this is the one for you.

Excellent on pretty much everything, but I personally prefer to use it on electric guitars, snare, and anything else that have to "rock".
Oh! And have I forgot to say what it makes on an overdriven Hammond B3 with good dynamic mics?... Oh my god...

Each preamp have a tree color led that let's you monitor the signal strenght at the input or the output. Green when the signal is clean, then it get to amber when the signal is getting hotter, and red when you hit it very hard. VERY useful. The good thing is that it's not changing between the tree colors in steps, but in a progressive way. (Green mixes with amber, that mixes with red)

Never failed, never had a scratchy pot, and always been rock stable since day one. Try to get one if you can. You'll love it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Universal Audio 2108
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search