Nice classic tone.

23rd March 2012

by Wesma

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I have been using my Vox AC30 CC1 for about 5 years now and I really like the tone of this one. I have mostly been using it with a Fender Stratocaster. I have also played Telecaster and a few times a Gibson SG through it. I don’t think the SG and the AC30 is a good match. The amp just seems to like the Fender guitars more. The clean sound is just amazing. It’s warm and fat and you also have the option to switch to a brighter mode that gives more edge but I rarely use it because I find it a little too harsh most of the time.
This amp actually doesn’t have a drive channel but a Top Boost channel that can give you some overdrive. I actually never use that channel. I don’t like the sound of it that much. I much prefer to use different OD and distortion pedals through the clean channel.
The amp is 30W and it can get pretty loud and it always sounds better when cranked up quite a bit. In a way I feel I should have gotten the AC15 instead because I almost never feel any need to play it that loud.
The AC30 has a very nice spring reverb which really makes your playing come alive. There are two different modes. One is a little more subtle than the other. The Tremolo is also a nice feature.

Overall a nice amp with a classic tone that can suit a lot of different styles.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search