The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD 1176LN Classic Limiting Amplifier Plug-In

Universal Audio 1176SE/LN Classic Limiting Amplifiers (Legacy Plug-In)

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

UAD workhorse

21st March 2012

Universal Audio 1176SE/LN Classic Limiting Amplifiers (Legacy Plug-In) by Wesma

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
UAD 1176LN Classic Limiting Amplifier Plug-In

The UAD 1176LN plug-in is an emulation of the classic 1176 built by Bill Putnam in the 60’s. This plug was included when I took the leap into the UAD world and of all the UAD plug-ins this is the one that get’s used the most.

The 1176 is great as peak limiter. It is extremely fast and gives very nice character to tracks. I like the sound of this plug a lot. It brings out a little midrange and gives the track a kind of vintage feel. It is not always the right choice on any track, I therefore really like that UA also created the light version 1176SE which I think is more transparent sound wise but still handles peaks in pretty much the same way.
The 1176 is very much known for the “all-button mode” which is awesome for parallel compression. I use this mode a lot on drum tracks, bass tracks, vocal tracks – you name it. Not only is it a lot of fun but it sounds great too. I always make sure to play with the attack and release times to get the best possible sound.

I actually have a 6176 channel strip which contains an 1176. Although this is a much later version of the classic compressor I did some comparisons with the plugin and they actually behave very similar. And with the plug I can use it on all my tracks so I rarely bother to use the hardware – except when tracking of course.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search