RME Fireface UC by sata_fortuna

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
RME Fireface UC

RME Fireface UC

i used to have the firewire version of this unit (fireface 400) and worked perfectly on my mac. i loved it, used mostly for field outdoor recordings.
I had to change to UC couse, due to compatibility issues with my felow filmmakers, i had switch to pc. The firewire is not a standar for pc laptop makers and the TI chipset expresscard i get just didn't worked quite well.
a snap to USB and problem solved immediatly.

The Driver works perfectly, very stable, never had an issue so far (had it for two months now).
The totalmix version working with this unit is a little different than the 400, is the new UFX version. The features and easy of use are mostly the same thought.
As my former one, the AD and DA converters are really clean, built quality and portability are perfect for recordings on the road.
the preamps get the job done, but since i generally record more than two channels and i prefered my mackie's preamps i always use it with the mixer.

The downside is that it can't be bus powered, but it doesn't really boder me since a power supply is allways at hand in my job.
A little time ago RME realized a new unit called UCX, wich adds firewire and usb posibilities along with dsp effects and remote control options.
its also more expensive and the extra features doesn't do it for me.

Features of the UC are mostly the same as the 400's series, but it can get lower buffer sizes due to USB, so a little lower latency is posible.

2nd April 2012

RME Fireface UC by soundmark

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
RME Fireface UC

This is the best portable interface I have ever used for recording. Nothing I have used sounds better, is more reliable and has such incredible latency specs. And its USB! Unbelieveable.
Using Waves Rack Live in high-demand situations with ZERO problems on a solid i5 64b W7 laptop. The preamps do a nice job with condenser microphones...con: they are acceptable for long runs with dynamics, but easy to beat with fancy xformer pres, not impressed with AEA ribbon.

The gain range options for input and output speaks to the thoughtfulness of the RME guys, very good for high voltage broadcast desks. The AES/SPDIF option in the driver is smokin. The new unit UCX has the new field programable processor which means it has a lot more driver/totalmix FX options, but this UC is an amazing box.

1st July 2014

RME Fireface UC by soundmark

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
RME Fireface UC

I got this unit because RME is always overkill hardware/software. I wanted to have mobile studio recording options, but was most curious about real-time mixing processes in live broadcasts.
With Multi-rack, I am processing like a professional with this I/O. The gain range options are killer (super sensitive to above +4 In/Out for gobs of headroom). Im using a 33 foot active monoprice USB extender to put this little beauty near the patchbay, my latency is excellent and the converters are killer.
This is the best interface I have ever used in any class.

Small interfaces from Steinberg and MOTU abound and are always getting better and better. I have no regrets about making this my main interface.

25th December 2014

RME Fireface UC by boybianchi

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25
RME Fireface UC

I have used this unit for a couple of months now. I don't dislike the sound, but it does sound a bit too clinical and cold to my taste. Some like it that way, i don't.

Total Mix is probably orgasmic for people dealing with a huge amount of signals, or doing a lot of live work and need on the fly mixing. In a typical studio setting, the mixer actually becomes an annoyance. Too elaborate. And I don't like the fact that the UC doesn't allow hardware EQ. I used to own the Babyface, even that little monster had DSP EQ, Rev en Delay

Furthermore, it's VERY annoying to have to pull the mixer every time i want to change the main volume. I know, i could do all sorts of midi abacadabra, but that's exactly the kind of hassle i DON'T want, when paying this kind of money for an interface. At least develop some kind of knob I could potentially buy. There is a remote, but sure, not for the UC.

Preamps sound nice and clean, but nothing special. I prefer the AD over the DA. DA, as stated above, sounds to frisky for me. Cold. Same goes for my experience with support. Correct, but cold.

And i almost forgot; only 1 headphone out? seriously.. ?

At this price point there are lots of alternatives. People screaming about driver stability are probably forgetting that it's 2014 and companies like Steinberg, Focusrite, Roland and MOTU are getting their facts straight and deliver quite the same quality (+ latency specs and stable drivers) for considerably less money.

No more RME for me.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search