Semi-open back studio headphones.

19th March 2012

AKG K141 by Wesma

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75

The AKG K141 are semi-open studio monitoring headphones. I used these a lot when starting out with recording and mixing and for the price they are not terrible – nor great.

When I bought the 141’s I did not know much about audio engineering, I just needed headphones that were of higher quality than my old Walkman-phones. I did not want to spend a fortune on phones at that point so the AKG’s seemed like a good choice.
Now I am actually having a hard time finding a place for these headphones but I guess they could be useful to a DJ when cueing songs in a club or something. I do however like them just for listening to some tunes now and then and sometimes to check mixes for reference. I mean the sound is actually pretty nice.
The problem with these headphones that I have found is that they are really uncomfortable if you have them on for more than 2-3 hours which makes them awful for mixing (YMMV). There is way too much pressure on the ears. Also if you want to mix with these it is very easy to go crazy with the bass because the response is not great in the lows. So maybe they are more suitable for tracking? Well… as I stated earlier they are “semi-open” so they will let some sound out the back of the cans. So if you would try to record an intimate guitar take to a click (I have tried) you will get some serious problems.

If I could go back in time I would definitely save up for a better pair right away.

20th March 2012

AKG K141 by andrew caramia

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3

Good to see a negative review here for a change. I had these cans as well as the high end ones and thought they were terrible. But i dissagree with the above review, they were VERY comfortable! And thats what i felt you were paying for, to be honest. All i got out of those cans was a bit of a 'squeek' from the music i was working on. Thats fine if thats what youre after, but its not 'flat' either, just weak and nasal sounding. I then went through several budget headphones and settled for the yamaha rh10ms (see my review). They sound like what akg are trying to do, but much more effectively. Theyre bright and midrange 'forward' sounding, articulate, with accurate low end punch without sounding boomy. Much like their excellent monitor range- and force you to push a smooth mix. The trade off is they arent as comfortable as the akg's for extended periods. Theyre light, and well made, but can feel tight and fatigueging after long periods. But- who cares when whats important is how it helps your sound? The rh10ms are keepers... the akg look great and are comfy, but thats not what counts imo. Id rather get down to real work with my yamahas without the style over substance.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search