The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser HD201 Pro Closed Back Headphones

Sennheiser HD 201

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Great inexpensive headphones.

19th March 2012

Sennheiser HD 201 by Justin1524

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

If you're on a budget or if you're just tired of headphones getting beat up in your studio and want something more "disposable" - these can't be beat for the price.

I bought 6 pair and have used them for tracking bands in my studio. No complaints from any clients. They get loud enough, aren't particularly hyped but sound very clear and they isolate fairly well - although I'd still go with trusty Sony 7506 headphones for critical applications. They also aren't fatiguing after many hours of use. They have a nice long cord that is fairly durable and they hold up very well and fit your head very well.

Can't be beat for the price!

1st November 2014

Sennheiser HD 201 by LMNproyect

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Sennheiser HD201 , the NS10 of the headphones:

This are one of the most natural ,flat across all freq headphones i ever hear , and i have:
Sennheiser HD600, ATH 50M , KRK KNS 8400, KNS 6400, Etymotic ER-4S.

About the sound:
They have a good amount of bass, in not going to hit you but is there and is enough for a flat response. The mids are very very balanced, not scooped like my ATH 50M, that is very important for me cause in the mids freq passes all the instruments and vocals, the highs are a little bit in the soft side, but still good and flat.
All in all , you re not going to hear any peak or dip in any frecuency because of their flat and balanced response.
Don´t expect to hear a very high resolution ,very detailed sound, reverb tails with huge soundstage , stereo image and deep sound, they also get congested sometimes when alot of instruments are at the same time in playback. This is not where this headphones shines. They aren´t analytical, more for reference or final check
I was very surpriced , this HD201 sound almost the same as my calibrated studio monitors system (in frecuency response balance only,not resolution ) Also when tracking vocals what it sounds in the HD201 was the same as my Studio monitor system playback, something that not happends with my ATH 50M. With my ATH 50M when i track , my vocals sounds with a dip in mids and with a good amount of highs,so i eq boosting the mids only, but when i heard the vocals in my monitors, they lack mids, and highs, sounds boxy.WIth the HD201 i can trust what i heard while tracking, so i eq in the right way and then it will sounds the same in my monitors.

I think if your final mixes sounds good and balanced in the HD201, they will sound good and balanced anywhere. They are a good reference.

Also my friend that has a Focal 2.1 high end gamma monitors when he heard the HD201 was surpriced of how similar freq wise it sounds to his monitor system.

I went to the store to buy the HD280 pro first with all my headphones to compare, but when i tried the HD280 i heard too much sub bass 40hz, dip in 200hz, a very strong peak in 2khz - 4khz and dip in 5khz that doesn´t let me hear music. I try my best to like the HD280 pro but i couldn´t, so i try the HD201 without any expectation for the price and surprice, all my mixes/music sounds almost the same as my monitors in balance.

For a $24 you must try this headphones.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Sennheiser HD201 Pro Closed Back Headphones
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search