19th March 2012

Audio-Technica AT4022 by lurxtlifeson

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
AT4022 Omnidirectional Microphone

I bought a pair of these mics in spring 2011 for $250 each. Since then, the price has increased to $350 each. I would especially recommend the mics to anyone (particularly students, like me) looking for a stereo pair for remote recording on a tight budget. I have used them in OSS array as well as spaced omni and as ambient flanks. They sound great in all three applications. I have also used them as drum overheads with decent success (my lack of success was probably a result of lack of experience). They have very low self noise, especially for such a low priced mic. I have never had a problem with them adding excessive hiss to my recordings. They pick up much detail from the sound source and have a wide dynamic range. They pick up much more detail than large diaphragm condensers and would be a step up for anyone switching from multi-pattern mics. They do not color the sound much and have a flat frequency response. They seem not to have too much transient distortion; they pick up transients well, and have been working consistently with much use and careful treatment for over a year for me. They include a rolloff and a pad.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search