The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser HD 600 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 600

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 7 Reviews

Possibly the most accurate headphones (dynamic or electrostatic) in their price range.

19th March 2012

Sennheiser HD 600 by Rev. Eslam

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

I purchased the Sennheiser HD 600 headphones in 2002 when I was studying audio production at university. The lecturer requested that each student purchase a pair of high-quality headphones and recommended the Sennheiser HD 265 to suit the typical college student’s budget. Since I was what they call in Australia a “mature-age” student, I was, thank God, able to afford the (then) top-of-the-range pair, particularly as I ordered them online from Europe (Belgium I think it was).

I had heard the HD600’s once or twice before purchasing them so I knew exactly what they sounded like – very accurate, at least compared to any other headphone I had ever heard (perhaps not as accurate frequency-wise as the finest pair of loudspeakers). Once you have heard a pair of headphones of this quality it’s very difficult to settle for anything less. The only ‘phones I have heard which sounded better are the HD 650’s (which I subsequently purchased but since sold) and of course the new top-of-the-line Sennheiser HD 800’s (which I’m going to purchase as soon as I return from my honeymoon in India next month). I’ve also heard a pair of Japan-exclusive Audio Technica’s which were perhaps just as accurate and high-quality sound-wise but unfortunately the dealer didn’t have a pair of high-end Sennheisers to compare them with (which is surprising since as far as I’m aware, the store is the only shop in the country which specializes in headphones and headphone amplifiers). The owner of that store believes that the 650’s are ten-percent better than the 600’s. I would say that they’re less than half of that and since the 600’s are cheaper and nicer-looking (especially when practically all of your studio equipment is black), I would definitely recommend the 600’s.

I’ve used the above ‘phones with both high-quality headphone amplifiers as well as the headphone outputs of certain audio gear (such as my Marantz Pro CD/MP3 player) and honestly could not distinguish any difference in the sound-quality. I’ve also used the two headphones under review with an inordinately-expensive Cardas cable (thanks to one of my ex-fiancée’s birthday gift) and also could hear barely any noticeable difference in sound-quality.
I admit that I am no “golden ear” but I do have better “hearing” than the average person (such as the man I spoke to a few minutes ago in the telephone who considers Bose speakers to be “great-sounding” ;-)

2nd April 2012

Sennheiser HD 600 by soundmark

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I found out about the HD600s when my mastering engineer handed them to me at the end of a long day of mastering. What I heard in the cans sounded like what was in the room.
Then I bought a pair and it lives with my at my mix console.
And they are not for sale.

26th March 2014

Sennheiser HD 600 by Raddler

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

Sennheiser HD-600 Headphones:

For the electronic musician........Well, after trying something shy of 20 pairs, from beyer dynamic to Danon to Audio technica to grado to sony etc.... and obsessively a/bing them all and countless returns to my local music /audio store, I found the sennheiser hd-600's were the best in all area's. Yes I suppose it's my personal opinion. Here's why I think so......First of all, these are the only pair of headphones where I don't suffer from that much ear fatigue. Obviously that they are open back is one reason why, but another is their highs...I think they nailed that almost perfect.They are smooth and sparkle just enough , they don't rip your ears apart like the sony mdr7506;s and they certainly aren't dull like their big brother the senn's HD 650's. As for the mids, they are rich and full. Bass I find to be so well balanced and natural with not too little and not too much, a nice sub bass extension as well. Perfect for electronic music where we need to hear it, but not in exageration......Built wise, they are durable, comfortable and light weight. They translate well on top of everything. I remember them being the last pair of headphones I tried, and being so discouraged because each pair before them bothered me in some way, too much bass/highs etc...As soon as I heard the 600's my eyes lit up with hope...Finally, i could use something somewhat to replace monitors, I realize no headphone will do that, but the 600's I found were the closest. In any case, scour the internet and I wouldn't be the first calling the senn 600's one of the best headphones at it's price range and even beats some more expensive stuff....

10th March 2016

Sennheiser HD 600 by amir30213

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

The Sennheiser HD600 is my definition of a perfect headphone. It has a slightly tight clamping force at first but after a short while, it loosens up and gets really comfortable. The ear pads are comfortable. Not as comfortable as a DT770 but still pretty darn comfortable. The build quality is okay. I say that because for $400 street price, you would expect a better build than this. It isn't nearly as cheap feeling as a AKG open back headphone but you just expect better build for the money, that's all.

These headphones make up for all of their small faults with the sound. I never heard treble sound so perfect on a headphone. The treble is detailed and yet so relaxed. It never gets piercing at all. The bass is sort of rolled off towards the sub bass but you would expect that in an open back headphone anyway. However, the bass is not lacking at all. It isn't super punchy and powerful but it hits the just enough mark. The mids sound slightly forward to me but mainly flat. You can throw this headphone on any type of music and it will sound anywhere between good and great. These are also the flattest pair of cans I ever heard thus far which makes it a great choice for mixing/mastering with.

I like that the cables are detachable so you can just get a new cable if it happens to break.

Let me also mention that these are open back cans meaning sound is meant to leak out a lot for the sole purpose of better sound. If you don't know already, open backs sound better than closed back headphones in general for that reason. That is why open back headphones are preferred for mixing although I entirely disagree that a good closed back can't be used for mixing. So yeah...don't wear these in public.

I didn't like the color of these when I saw them online but honestly, they look better in front of your face than online to me. I use to hate the color but now I love the color of the HD600 because it matches with a lot of my clothes and looks pretty cool. I am honestly glad I did not get the HD650 and got these babies instead. They are so much better to me than the HD650. Don't believe me? Try them for yourself...and then BUY THEM and NEVER EVER SELL OR GET RID OF THEM. Because you will regret it.

-Amir

15th November 2016

Sennheiser HD 600 by redstar

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I bought a pair of these today on sale for $350 AUD ( approx $250 US). In this price range I found them to have superior build quality to all others I looked at with the closest other option being AKG K702's.

I like the sound of the HD 600's and they seem to be a reliable reference for making mix decisions which is the reason I bought them.

I am really pleased with my purchase in every respect and anyone considering a set of cans in this price range should buy the HD 600's with confidence.

9th January 2018

Sennheiser HD 600 by Jimmy Two Times

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3

These headphones absolutely suck. Nothing below 200 Hz as far as I could tell. And I'm no amateur. I have Avid, RME, Apogee interfaces as well as dedicated amplifiers. I own many other headphones, and I initially bought the HD600 as they are supposed to be very clear and open. It's more like they have absolutely no bass - at all. So if you make violin music or something, maybe they're good for that. If you make anything modern, with drums, with bass - they are terrible. My cheapo Senn HD280's are better than this. I will be selling them ASAP.

2 weeks ago

Sennheiser HD 600 by RPRM

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I can wear these for hours, stand up and almost rip them off my head as I walk away because I forget I'm wearing them. Super comfortable to wear and non fatiguing on your ears.

Obviously they are open back so not good for tracking, blocking out noise or even listening in a room where others can hear the leakage from your headphones.

They are very non hyped (balanced) across the entire frequency range. They are power hungry - you'll need a solid headphone output to drive them properly (they're too quiet for my taste if you just try and plug straight into a phone headphone output.)

Overall they are a trustworthy listening source that make hours inside headphones easy to handle.

Also I had one driver develop a rattle and Sennheiser was quick to get me a return label, fix it and return. Good support.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Sennheiser HD 600 Headphones
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search