The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lavry Blue AD Converter

Lavry Engineering Blue 2 Channel Mic-Pre

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Stereo Analog to Digital (AES/EBU) converter in a modular frame. The frame allows for up to 4 stereo pairs of AD or DA and msync master clocking.

17th March 2012

Lavry Engineering Blue 2 Channel Mic-Pre by bobx

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Lavry Blue AD Converter

I own the Lavry Blue frame with stereo AD and DA. This has easily been the best sounding converter I've ever owned (I have used/owned SSL Alpha Link, RME Fireface, Mytek 8x192, Lynx Aurora 16, Motu 828, m-audio, focusrite...)

the sound: clean. what you put in is what you get. Dan Lavry believes there is no reason for sample rates above 96k and after using this, i don't ever record at anything other than 44. Even at 44 it sounds better lower end converters at 192.

features: 2 channels of conversion over AES. The toggle switches on the front allow for changes in sample rates, 44, 48, 88, 96. word length, 16, 20, 24 bit. and "analog" or "digital" saturation. though the terminology can be a bit confusing...

"Analog" saturation is basically a soft limiter. i've never been a fan of brick wall limiters going in as i've learned to just carefully monitor my levels and leave enough headroom.
"Digital" saturation is a tape overdrive emulation. according to the manual, with this engaged with signal below -12 dbfs, your levels are raised by 6dbs. Above that level, there is a tape saturation applied to the waveform.

i prefer to use it without the saturation switches engaged during tracking. but i have found it useful and fairly pleasant for bouncing back down when summing in analog.

One of the biggest things i've noticed with tracking through the lavry converters has been the separation after layering multiple tracks. Although i haven't done any scientific experiments of A/B'ing of all the previous converters i've owned. The mixes i've done tracked through the lavry have come together so much easier than say sifting through the haze of the Motu 828 converters.

8th May 2013

Lavry Engineering Blue 2 Channel Mic-Pre by Boogle

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Lavry Blue AD Converter

I have to concur with the other owner, I have tested so many AD/DAs too, and the DA/AD Lavry Blue (stereo) just left me 'speechless'. I have demoed many convertors in my own room including Prism, Apogee, Motu, and several others and this killed it!

It's not just clean but also 'beautiful' sounding, and kinda gave me also the same warm happy feeling as when I first heard what the Manley Massive Vari-Mu would do to audio, like pouring cream over the sound, I then bought it.

Excuse the non scientific fuzzy review, but just wanted to rave about this fab piece of gear.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Lavry Blue AD Converter
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search