17th March 2012

Korg nanoPAD2 by hue

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75
NanoPad2`

What can I say? A major disappointment? Not really. Should I have expected it? Yes. Very much so.

I bought this item on a whim. I usually try to fumble drums with a midi keyboard but I thought it would be nice to have an actual drum trigger. Something I could thwack at with some vigor. I found this item for under $60. Dirt cheap.

So great. I took it home and tried to install it but the drivers would not take. Fine. I go follow the instructions and go to the regional distributors site and download their latest drivers. Still no go.

I go to the forums and ask. Nothing. In fact, I don't think there has been a moderator to that forum in years. I'm not exaggerating. Of course I do the next logical thing and submit a support ticket. It's been months since I did that. Not a single answer.

I did finally get it working after hunting down the latest drivers from Korg International's main web site.

I don't want to be a whiner but, do you think they could send a link with the latest drivers after I registered this thing? Not a single email. Maybe they could post a heads up as a stick on their forum. Nope. The only person responding to posts there in the past month was myself.

The "Free software" included was not even worth chasing down. I emailed about it but nothing came back. I have all the software I need, legal, purchased and registered.

I did finally get it working. And for my needs it works. I can trigger EZdrummer or whatever software I desire. The pads are reasonably sensitive and can be adjusted via the Kontrol Editor software(which I also had to track down).

I understand that this is budget. I mean, it's throw away cheap but at least let your customers know when you have an update. Man your Forum with moderators and give them some incentive to be there. The High End products were much better supported, as they should be. Just don't neglect your entry level consumers. They will very likely be your future core consumers.

28th November 2013

Korg nanoPAD2 by balcony

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 1
NanoPad2`

After a week dabbling round with the drivers ( tried it in 3 computers) I just said screw it and am sending it back. its not just the lousy $60 bucks, it is my time and effort taking it back, talking to the GS manager...

So in case you were gonna pick one up,

The nanopad2 is a sure fire loser. https://static.gearslutz.com/board/im...crossbones.gif

14th January 2020

Korg nanoPAD2 by Glam Gloom

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
NanoPad2`

As an audio engineer and musician, I bought this to use with EZDrummer inside of Reaper to record songs in my home studio. I was hoping for something a bit easier than dragging my cursor around a piano roll.

Set-up was relatively painless, I had to download a few things from the Korg website but had it connected to EZD and working inside of an hour. It did take me a few more hours to figure out how to fully customize the controller, from pad function to pad sensitivity to the X-Y controller. The X-Y pad is interesting and I look forward to exploring the opportunities it presents. But once I got over the hump of the controller software learning curve, it is very easy to customize the controller. It doesn't help that I am not that familiar with MIDI but I was able to figure it out enough, I'm sure I'll be learning much more as I go. There are 4 scenes you can save too for instant recall.

Really my only complaint is that the pads are a bit stiff, even adjusted for the lightest sensitivity. They may just need to broken in a bit. But I had no issues installing on my Win 10 64-bit machine and it's playing nice with Reaper, EZD, Reaktor, and FL.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search