The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akg d1000e

AKG D 1000 E

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

I would call it a "SM57 killer". Great, cheap and versatile dynamic mic.

16th March 2012

AKG D 1000 E by Precision

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Akg d1000e

First of all, this mic is discontinued for quite some time. But so is U47, and no one cares about that if it sounds good. Or great.

This microphone is pretty much similar to SM57, but it hasn't got the fame that SM57 has. Why? I don't know, but it's not fair.

The sound of this microphone is somewhat almost like a condenser, but in a dynamic way. Let me explain this a little bit. It's got more hi-mids and highs that 57, but in a very pleasant way (and not being harsh). Low mids and lows are warmer than 57, at least on the sources I've tried it (guitar amps, vocals and floor toms). And it needs less gain than 57. But the main advantage of this mic is the switch on the bottom: it says B-M-S on it. What it does?

In the B position the microphone has (depending on the speech distance) a bass boosted sound with a linear frequency response between about 15 kHz down to 70 Hz and a bass roll-off at the low end. This prevents transmission of handling or cable noise. In the M position there is a slight increase of response in the presence region between about 5 to 7 kHz. This makes the sound clearer.

The S position causes a remarkable decrease from about 8 kHz downwards which gives a sharper, brighter sound with good speech intelligibility.

As I said before, the mic is discontinued, but you've got plenty of them on eBay. You won't regret this mic, it's a gem on almost everything. Way better than 57!

22nd April 2017

AKG D 1000 E by NoteKnotion

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Akg d1000e

The D1000E is an amazing microphone for what you can pick it up for, and anyone that regularly uses microphones like the SM57 has absolutely NO excuse not to pick one of these up for themselves to at least just try it out. They are found on the used market pretty cheap, I got two of these on eBay for a grand total of about 65 dollars. One was fine, the other had the plastic grill was broken so I just duck taped the sides and boom works fine. For me, this microphone blows the SM57 out of the water when it comes to micing guitar amps. I mean it just isn't really a contest. It also has a three-position voicing switch which is a neat feature. I stacked the D1000E against a number of microphones when it came to recording guitar amps, some microphones $200 dollars more expensive than the D1000E's used price point, and the D1000E was the one we ended up using in that particular bands recording, and in my opinion was easily one of the top 2 microphones for that application that I owned at the time. Price point wise, simply put, it just can not be beat. I have yet to try this on a lot of other sources but I can not WAIT to do so. Whether you are a beginner buying your first dynamic microphone to record instruments or guitar rigs, or your a seasoned vet who likes to experiment with alternatives, the D1000E is likely one of the best dynamic microphones you can get for easily under $100. Seriously, pick it up.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Akg d1000e
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search