The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2

3.45 3.45 out of 5, based on 12 Reviews

Review of the KRK Rokit 6 G2

3rd December 2011

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by Reegs

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

I'm reviewing the active design here. I'm a recording engineer with half a decade experience in venue-based recording and production, as well as about a full decade in computer music production.

KRK makes well-designed monitors, and they've been doing it for a long time. The Generation 2 of Rokits are no exception and are their solution for the prosumer/hobbyist arena. The 6" design offers good reproduction of all but the lowest frequencies in your mix, at a size that will fit on your desk where space is a concern. I bought them for my small home studio, where I do small mixes and noodle around with electro-orchestral VST stuff. I looked at the 8's, and they were just too big for the space. I felt the 5's were a little too small to trust my low end.

They are solidly built from ABS plastic and MDF (each weighs around 25lbs). They contain connections for balanced XLR/TRS as well as phono/RCA jacks so if you want to hook up a second consumer level source, such as a home theater or headphone out of iPod, you don't need to go through an interface or any converters. On the back are a useful set of detented output attenuators and a high frequency cut knob for up to 3dB. The finish on the standard black ones is matte. I like that the only light on them when powered up is the KRK logo, which glows a refreshing pale white instead of a glaring blue. Much easier on the eyes. When in use for long sessions or left on for long periods, they get a little warm to the touch. Since I like the woofers in one piece I haven't pushed them as loud as they can go, but I don't think they will suffer from overheating (there IS an internal safety cutout for this, however). It's a good model for quieter environments. The amplifier noise is nearly silent. Your ear needs to be up against the tweeter to hear it.

Expect to pay about $350 for a pair (street). Sonically, especially for their price range, they are very neutral. Compared to KRK's VXT line, the Rokits lack some of the detail and transparency in the midrange due to their heavier driver design. They definitely follow the garbage in, garbage out rule. Quality mixes will sparkle, and you'll know if your mix isn't up to spec. I recommend training your ears for these monitors by listening to some references from the genre you're producing. There's a slight dip it seems in the highs around the silibance region, and they also have a tendency to get a little boomy mixing pieces with plucked bass. Like any monitor pair, proper positioning and room treatment can reduce these effects. I do a lot of jazz mix work so I'm constantly cross-checking this with a pair of closed back headphones. Using the two together it's easy to get a mix that is extremely consistent across most every system. They definitely have a sweet spot for sound transparency (which on my setup is around at least 1/2 of full at a -6dB attenuation level, your ears may vary). With bass heavy mixes they do rumble a bit so I recommend getting a set of Auralex MoPads or similar isolation fixes. You can mix for a few hours on them before getting fatigued. (Breaks are needed.)

All in all, I'm very happy with this pair of monitors, especially for the price I paid. Are they high end professional caliber? No, but they get the job done. I probably wouldn't use them exclusively for mastering a CD release, but very rarely am I forced to go back and redo a mix because it didn't translate well to car/iPod/home theater.

25th December 2011

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by phatbeatstudio

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

I had these monitors for years tried and tried yet my mix,s sucked. So one day I tried a pair of decent home stereo speakers of about the same price and I pawned my KRKs the next day My KRK rockit8s sucked i WOULD NOT RECOMEND them to anyperson unless they were really cheap. After years of tring I finnally got a good mix the day I stopped useing KRK rockit 8s
JUST MY OPINION sorry guys they look cool though

29th December 2011

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by Tom Higgins

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

I managed to get these used at a good price which is why I got them. I would have otherwise probably gone for the Yamaha HS range.

These are my first pair of monitors. I didn't find myself particularly impressed or overwhelmed by them. I moved from a pair of old B&W hi-fi speakers to these. No doubt they're more accurate but they're not amazing.

I found them to be quite full sounding with a decent bass response. I do not like their high end though. It is quite harsh and 'sizzly'. I have a HF roll off on at least 1 or 2 db. Also, I really would have liked the option of a LF roll off... It is clear that more expensive monitors will be better. That goes without saying. So you get what you pay for, naturally. I will eventually upgrade to a nicer pair of monitors but, until that time, I will continue to use them and learn how they sound (and sound in my room ) to be able to mix effectively on them.

I am sure they will be better sounding once I invest in some acoustic treatment (so bear that in mind!)

For the price that I got them at, nothing is better. Understandably, however, there are some other good options to look at in their price range (read: I'd suggest looking at some others in the price range).

Thanks. PM me for any questions!

30th December 2011

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by Steaudiophen

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

I got these for 199.99 each because of the color. They sound awesome, but I would say even with the filter adjustments they can be misleading. I stopped messing with the settings after a while and just let my ears be my guide. The bass is heavy, the highs are not as clear. My mixing room is not perfect other than some Auralex foam (which is actually a ton better than I expected when I installed) but that is another review.

Features include TRS, XLR, and the ugly unbalanced RCA inputs (if you need them then they are there), Volume a, HF lvl adjust.

If you are looking for some cranking monitors - that are decent and don't have 30 grand, these are worth the $400 for a set. Just don't expect you are getting something beyond good consumer gear. I am being 80's right now and listening to Roger Waters's Radio K.A.O.S. and the details are pronounced very well. Thought that would be a good reference point since you have not heard my mixes.

If you need a decent cheap set of monitors I'd say go for them. I use them in combination with Sony MDR-7506 and my mixes are getting better all the time. Learn the sound and trust your ears.

4th January 2012

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by allof6foot6

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

I've had a pair of Rokit 6's for three years. I bought them because I didn't have a lot of money ($400/pr) but I didn't want to go smaller than 6" drivers. I also wanted monitors that would visually impress local clients in my project studio. Thankfully I've received lots of positive comments based on their looks because I'm less impressed with their performance.

The silk dome tweeters lack the smoothness and clarity of other monitors in this price range (Yorkville is an example). Low frequency reproduction often lacks the accuracy of other models, and there is a distinct coloration that cannot be avoided with the Rokit 6's. I had the pleasure of mixing on a colleague's Dynaudio BM6A MKII's recently ($1500/pr), and the difference has absolutely convinced me that my Rokit6's days are officially numbered.

Overall, I'm rating the Rokit6's sound quality as a 5/10 - better sounding speakers can be found at this price point, but they are fine for comparative mixing. The speakers are easy enough to use (9/10) - simply connect signal and power and you're in the music. The feature set is limited to HF Level and Volume on the back panel, which is more that some competitors at this price point, so they get a 7/10. The Rokit 6's get a 7/10 for Bang for the Buck, as I have received plenty of positive feedback based on the yellow drivers, and they will play loud enough to impress the rock guys who are already hard of hearing.

I'm not going to slag the Rokit6's too much. They're relatively inexpensive, they look great, and it's taken a better part of three years with opportunities to work with far more expensive monitors to grow tired of them. As far as budget monitors go, the Rokit6's have served me well.

12th January 2012

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by CollinGMusic

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

Although these were my first pair of studio monitors when I started my production work a few years ago, they morphed in to my "go-to" speakers for practicing my DJ sets. As far as production work goes, I wasn't able to get over the "overly-subtle" mid-low range frequency cutoff. This is typical with any ported studio monitor and definitely not just KRK's, but for production work a truly flat EQ is ideal. I switched from the KRK's to Yamaha HS80M's and couldn't be happier. The KRK's will still be an active contributor to my equipment arsenal for some time, but have taken on a newer, more suitable role next to my Pioneers.

3rd March 2012

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by DR Music

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

Very nice looking monitor, it's yellow woofer is pretty sweet. Without a doubt the RP6 are lookers. It's level are hi freq. controls are nice as well! I personally owned the RP6 for 4 months in a very well acoustic treated 15x12 room.

Sound: My biggest complaint comes from the RP6 is the sound. The Low and Mid-lows are very muddy. It made it very tough to set correct levels and EQ adjustments. The mid and hi freqs. are very good and detailed, but most monitors in this price range are. Unfourtunatly, the sound is what monitors are all about. For production/tracking they could work well but for any kind of mixing I would stay away. If you own the RP6, I would recommend a second set of monitors, referencing back and forth between two set gives you a better idea when making level, eq, panning, reverb etc..... In these price there are lots of monitors, so look around!

Remember bigger (8InchDrivers) isn't better in monitoring! I would defenitly recomend a Sub though!

16th March 2012

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by OmegaP

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

This review is for the KRK Rokit 6 G2 these are active monitors with a 6 inch woofer. The frequency range is 48hz to 20khz. These are good monitors i wouldn't call them great,they do their job.The mid range could be clearer,but for low budget home studio's they do their job very well.The low range extension is pretty good and kick drums in particular sound very good playing back through these monitors. They have lots of connections on the back balanced xlr,and 1/4 and has a unbalanced rca connection also.It also has a high frequency adjustment to help adust it to your room. You can set it to flat or plus 1 db or minus 1 or 2 db depending on your preference. Volume adjustment is also included.All in all these monitors from krk are very good bang for your buck for project studio's if you want something with better imaging and clarity you may have to bump up you price range a few hundred dollars more . These retail at 199.99 U.S. per speaker.

17th March 2012

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by amoryblane

• Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 1.75
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

Maybe 5 years ago I mixed a record on some old passive paper cone KRK monitors above a Hafler power amp and I loved them. That month was a dream, so flat, so cushy, easily translatable. What happened to KRK? Even in the first few seconds of playback it i started to get the "all hi's, all low's, it's Bose" blues.

These six inch active glass-aramid coned monitors truly lacked a middle, not unlike Mackie 6" monitors but with way more hi-hat. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a paper cone elitist, my primary monitors aren't paper but these just sounded like a hyped car stereo. I could easily see spending the day mixing with these guys and being really really fatigued afterwards.

You know, now that I think of it these are perfect for playback to your hip hop clients, with the "Yeah, make it crispier." attitude. Granted, they are on the very low side of monitors and a six inch cone for under 200 dollars is impressive, but I still have to say that the only key feature of the KRK Rokit 6 G2 monitors is that they do in fact pass audio. Just please, for all that is good in the world don't, under any circumstances, mix a record on these monitors.

And they're ugly.

22nd January 2013

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by mickbenjamins

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

I use these RP6's together with a Apogee Duet 2 (and sometimes hooked up to my dj mixer).

They are great entry level speakers, perfect for dj sets or producers on a tight budget.
But they color the sound, so I will be replacing them with (most likely) a pair of Adams A77x (unless NAMM will bring something else ).

3 weeks ago

KRK Systems ROKIT 6 G2 by Hammer v2

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.25
KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review

If you were to buy a set of Yamaha's, JBLs or Genelecs and put them into a box...they would sound a lot like the Rokit 6.

They're lovely looking, very reliable, nice and compact.

It's just such a pity that they sound like a$$...

They're very hard to mix on, not detailed and quite muffled.

They're also the same price as the equivalent Yamaha's and JBLs.

Get those instead.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... KRK Rokit 6 G2 Review
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search