The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundelux U99A

Soundelux U99

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Multipattern Tube Microphone based around the EF86S tube, the U99 has a 1-inch diaphragm made of 6-micron Mylar, coated with gold and aluminum. Has a continuously variable pattern selector.

16th March 2012

Soundelux U99 by Autocrat

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Soundelux U99A

Mics and preamps are a touchy subject here on Gearslutz. Nonetheless, this is my review of the U99. Having used a U87ai, Pearlman TM1 and doing shoot outs with the Beesneez Arabella and Sally, I can say the U99 has been my go to mic time and time again.

It has a great upper frequency presence and deep, solid lows. Some can describe it as a bit scooped, but it just sounds finished and refined to me. Works excellent on vocals (both male and female) which I pair with either a Portico or GR1NV most of the time. The U99 also sounds good with a Langevin DVC and DW Fearn VT. On acoustic guitars, it can take some positioning to find the perfect sound. I typically use a high pass filter to high pass the really low rumble. It also works great as a drum room mic. Set it back about ten feet and feed it through a Distressor and let the magic happen.

I can't compare it to a U67 or U47 which I used years ago but the U99 does have that nice tube character. Compared to the TM1, it’s just a different flavor. The TM1 has more mid detail but can be a big congested, especially in a busy mix.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Soundelux U99A
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search