The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Portico 5032

Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5032

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

The Portico 5032 is a single channel Mic Pre/EQ with Line level input for the EQ section.

15th March 2012

Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5032 by method1

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Neve Portico 5032

For all those who want the Neve sound with something a little extra, the 5032 is a great option. First off, in comparison to my vintage 1073 and modded 1271 modules, I’d have to say the portico has the edge in terms of openness and transparency. It does not lack character but seems to be less colourful than it’s older compatriots.

Not a surgical EQ but certainly a very musical one, the unit imparts a bit of “mojo” even when the EQ is flat. The 3-band EQ is very musical and useful for sculpting a mic sound on the way in, and the low pass filter is a useful addition. The silk switch works as advertised, adding some lovely harmonic content to guitars, vocals and other sources I’ve tried it on, it also seems to almost have a subtle de-essing effect in some situations.

Using the EQ as a line insert has proved very useful on a variety of material and can really fatten things up and shape sounds in a musical way.

The unit is very solidly built and I’m sure could take some abuse. It’s very easy and intuitive to use.

It is a bit on the pricey side for a single channel, but well worth it. A very good addition to the studio for anyone wanting some Neve flavour.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Neve Portico 5032
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search