The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

14th March 2012

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB by Dutchy15

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

The Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface is a 2 in, 4 out, USB 1.1 audio&MIDI interface from Focusrite's Saffire series.

It features two "award winning" Focusrite mic preamps on Neutrik combi inputs, hosting both XLR and Jack connections in the same chassispart. The mic pre's are the same as in the larger Saffires. They have their own "Inst" and "Pad" buttons (Hi-Z instrument and 10 dB pad attenuation resp.) and share a phantom power button.

Outputs 1&2 are presented on electronically balanced TRS jacks, and 1, 2, 3 and 4 on (unbalanced) RCA phono's, which means that outputs 1&2 are available on both TRS and phono (at the same time, or one at a time), and 3&4 on phono only.
All 4 outputs are also available on the headphone output, which is a TRS jack in the front panel. It has a little button right next to the jack, which says "O/P 3-4". If it's off, you're listening to output 1&2 on your cans, if it's on, you're listening to 3&4, which is great when you want to pre-listen tracks when DJing live. The headphone output has it's own volumecontrol, presented on a rotary potentiometer.

Outputs 1&2 are controlled by another rotary pot, called "monitor", which won't affect the headphone signal if switched to 1&2. Underneath the monitorpot are two LED's, the left one should be on if the interface is connected to a PC or Mac. The right on turns on if you send midi in and/or out through the midi busses on the rear.

The last pot left is a really nice one, it's called Mixer, and allows you to seamlessly switchover from input to output. It controls wether output 1&2 get their signal from the PC or Mac, or from the inputs. This pot does affect the headphone output, which means that the signal send to output 1&2 is the same on the jacks as in your cans, except jacks and headphones have separate volume controls.

Underneath the mixerpot is a button called "mono I/P", which, if switched on, puts both inputs on both output 1 and 2. If switched off, input 1 is routed to output 1, and input 2 to output 2.

That's it for functions, now let's go to the important part: SOUND

How does it sound? Well, very good, if you you know I got this one for 155 euro's (I'm from Holland), there's nothing you can say about it really. It is the only one in it's priceclass that offers all the good stuff, 4 outputs, extensive monitoring, nice mic pre's (they're great!) and a sturdy (metal) box to hold it all.
It does 16 and 24 bit, and 44.1 and 48 KHz samplerates, and despite the USB 1.1 port I got it up to a satisfying 5ms of latency, using my Dell Inspiron 1545 with FL studio, REAPER and Asio drivers.

Is it strong? Well, if I take my laptop somewhere, I usually take my interface and external HDD with me as well, and pack it all into my Eastpak backpack, which has a laptop compartiment. The interface is just thrown on some cables, and after about 1,5 years of abuse like this, it's still going strong

Bang for buck? Hell yes! Right now, it's about 180 euro's, making it a little less attractive, but I got it for 155, so for me it was real bang for my buck/euro.

Daniël

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search