The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio UA2192

Universal Audio 2192

4.55 4.55 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Master audio interface with the expensive sound.

14th March 2012

Universal Audio 2192 by Gertius

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Universal Audio UA2192

I bought the UA2192 two years ago to improve the monitoring and recording quality of my project studio. At that moment I was overcome by a no-compromise mentality for recorded sound and extremely interested in what a converter of that price level could do, so I sprung for it.
Also the endorsement of Elliot Mazer, Bruce Swedien and Daft Punk had a lot to do with my interest.

First of all, I love this thing! The DA is very open, detailed and sweet, I don´t want to stop listening to it! Comparing to the DA of a FF800, which is also in the studio, the 2192 just has a more pleasing, smooth and also “real” quality to it. Also the image seems to be deeper. The AD is also great! Although the converted sound is not exactly the same as the analog source it yields a very pleasing representation. When I listen to some tracks that I´ve recorded with the 2192 I´m physically excited about how great it sounds. It´s hard to pinpoint, but let´s just say listening to those tracks makes me feel good in addition to thinking it sounds good.
There is a discussion going on on GS about the unit being colored and I cannot really say anything about that, as I have no suitable comparison.

Feature wise it is well thought out. I like the big knobs on the front panel for controlling all the main functions. The master clock section is starting to come in handy as I´ve combined forces (and digital gear) with a friend in the studio. The 2192 runs pretty hot, so plan in a free rack space above and below.

I have one point of criticism, and that is the calibration procedure. If you want to change the default +4dBu setting, you have to calibrate it using a signal generator and SPL meter, adjusting the line trim pots to the desired in/output level, which I´ve done. It´s a hassle, but with the detailed manual easily doable (provided you have generator/meter) and you might learn something in the process.
BUT: secondly you have to calibrate the meters removing the top cover and trimming a pot inside the device with a plastic screwdriver. This I haven´t done. Even though I have an electronics background I didn´t feel like opening up a 2700 EUR device upon reception to fiddle with the inside components. In my mind this is a real design flaw of the unit.

To sum up, I sometimes wonder if it´s justified to have a 2.7k Eur stereo converter in my project/hobby studio, especially thinking what else this type of money could get me.
But everytime I have those thoughts, a quick listen makes me never want to give it away again.
Unfortunately it has been discontinued last year but I´ve seen em go for attractive prices on the used market.

23rd March 2012

Universal Audio 2192 by robertshaw

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Universal Audio UA2192

Sound Quality: This is the best sounding non transparent A/D converter ever made. I sold mine like a fool when I bought my Burl B2. Within 2 days I bought another one to replace my original I missed it so..........

Ease of use: The E/M packaging on this thing is brilliantly designed although I personally would have plotted out the controls differently.

Features: This has everything you would ever need. An array of Word clocks, ADAT, s/pdif, AES. It is packed .... I love it.

Bang for buck: They discontinued these for whatever reason I can't imagine why?? It would be like Gibson Discontinuing the Les Paul. But then again Gibson did that in the early 60s so who knows? The $1800 - $2000 used price is well worth it. Anything Digital traditionally is notorious for becoming worthless and obsolete within only a few years. These may be one of the few exceptions to that typical chain of events.

28th March 2012

Universal Audio 2192 by jbg08

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
Universal Audio UA2192

I purchased my 2192 when I was ready to start getting into more detail with my tracking and mixing. Most of my other gear is inexpensive, and I did not feel like I got a bargain when I forked over the cash.

Whenever I'm tracking, this unit gets the most important duties. I noticed a difference in the tracks that had been recorded through the 2192 and I was pleased with the first project that had been put together using mostly the 2192. It does have a coloration to the sound. It is a very good coloration and is very pleasing to the ear.

When I'm mixing I often combine tracks in a summing mixer. Sending the tracks back to my DAW with the 2192 works very well. I find that monitoring the summed mix as it bounces is very accurate to the end result. If you are mixing in the box you may get a different result.

For a piece of digital gear the 2192 has some really great analog qualities. If you have the cash I'd recommend it highly.

24th November 2014

Universal Audio 2192 by blueflag

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
Universal Audio UA2192

I snagged one of these used off of E-bay a couple years ago hoping it would make me yell at my computer less for mangling my yodeling and what not.

The 2192 has all the connections adat,spdf,AES i needed to interface with various gizmos in my studio.Two channels of AD-DA conversion in a easy to transport 1 space rack.I interface it with the Apollo also made by Universal Audio.

Sound wise it is a drastic improvement over the Apollo's conversion,especially noticeable as track count increases.Monitoring off of the 2192 is less fatiguing and makes EQ,compression,etc. much easier.Less yelling and more smiling.

After learning it was designed by Mr.Rich Burl i purchased the Burl B2 Bomber with the intention of selling the 2192.The 2192 stayed because it has a flavor all its own.No transformers vs. the B2 Bomber with transformers,both fantastic.

This has all lead to the purchase of the Burl Mothership and poverty.https://static.gearslutz.com/board/i...milies/lol.gif

I am not sure why this was discontinued,it was the best product Universal Audio
released in my opinion.I guess profitability and fidelity make strange bedfellows.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Universal Audio UA2192
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search