The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Multiface II
4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

The Multiface II is a flexible and easily expandable recording interface from RME. Great driver support, stable operation and multitude of mixing and measurement software adds to the Multiface II being an excellent recording solution.

13th March 2012

RME Multiface II by Feuerbach

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
RME Multiface II

The Multiface II is part of RME's HDSP line of interface. It is so feature-packed that any review can only scratch the surface. Due to the complexity it takes quite some time to wrap your head around all features it has to offer.

Physical Features

The interface itself is only the break out box which contains all the connectivity which includes 8 analog I/O, 1 SPDIF, 1 ADAT I/O, 1 MIDI I/O and a separate headphone out.

To connect it to a DAW the additional RME HDSP PCI, PCIe, Cardbus or Expresscard card has to be installed. The proprietary digital data bus connection between the card and the interface is realized by using a standard firewire cable (IEEE 1394). The Multiface II runs at a maximum samplerate of 96 KHz.

Sound Quality

The soundquality of the ad/da conversion is prestine. I have not measured it myself, but RME claims a frequency response of -0.5dB from 5 Hz to 21 kHz at 44,1 kHz sampling rate. Either on the studio or when using it on stage the sound comes across clean, undistorted and punchy. It has no preamp inputs, just line level, so additional gear has to be connected to make any kind of microphone recordings.

The Headphone amplification (which can be completed individually routed) is quite potent although I feel that with more loudness or higher impedance heaphones distortion creeps in before hitting the maximum gain.

Software and Driver Support

Besides the great soundquality the drivers are another highlight of this package. I am using the MF II in combination with the HDSPe PCI Express Card on a Studio PC and the Cardbus card with a laptop. Either way not once in the several years of usage has the driver come in the way of stability. The drivers have seen mutiple revision enhancing funcionality and adapting to newer hardware or software. Stable low latency audio is possible without the MF II breaking into sweat. Tests indicate that the HDSP Line it is one of the most efficient low latency recording solutions in the market, which means the CPU is least taxed with handling audio data streaming leaving head room for other tasks (sequencers & virtual effect/instruments calculations).

The RME HDSP also includes the Digicheck software, a great set of realtime measurement tools. They include frequency analyser, peak and rms meters for all channels and goniometer for stereo field representation.

Conclusion

The Multiface 2 is the most reliable audio device I ever bought for my studio. It simply works since day one with any further fiddling. It is running several years without a glitch. It is one of the best investment I made. Nothing not to like and highly recommended.

25th March 2012

RME Multiface II by eightyeightkeys

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
RME Multiface II

I have to admit that my decision to purchase RME products again, and specifically the RME Multiface 2 PCIe, came as a direct result from my previous experience with RME products. In our complicated, modern computer based studios, if it ain't broke, don't fix it !

Another big factor was my reluctance to go with a Firewire or a USB2 audio card which seems to be all the rage at the moment. PCI(e) has been an ultra fast and an ultra reliable technology in my studio whereas Firewire....hmm....not so much.

Foremost in my mind, when you have clients paying by the hour that are trusting you with their precious takes, you need rock solid reliability first and foremost...only then followed by great sound/great converters. It's no good if you have to explain that their takes are gone due to a system freeze..."ya man, but, uh, while it lasted, did it ever sound fantastic."

The space saving external Multiface 2 unit uses half the space of a 19" rack, optional rack ears available, and, offers ADAT optical I/O, SPDIF I/O, MIDI I/O, word clock I/O and a separate hi-power monitor output. There are 8 analog balanced inputs and outputs all available at 24-bit/96kHz and the Multiface 2 PCIe be used on desktops or laptops with ultra low latency or zero latency direct monitoring. I use the unit in direct monitor mode with Cubendo since many of the percussionists that I record do not accept even the smallest amount of latency...."what is that slapback 'effect' you've got on there dude and turn it off."

All RME products come with the amazing Digicheck software which they claim is "the ultimate measurement, analysis and test tool." Digicheck has truly become an indispensible software tool set in my daily work. K-System Metering and a variety of other analysis tools including RT spectrum analysis, phase meter, etc... In a word, fantastic ! Digicheck was one of the other factors in my decision to stick with the RME line.

Other impressive and pertinent tech-specs that I'd like to include are :
Dynamic ratio analog AD: 111.5 dB(A), DA: 112 dB(A)
THD+N AD: -98 dB (0.0012%), DA: -97 dB (0.0014%)
Dynamic ratio stereo monitor output: 119 dB(A), 119 dBA
Supported sample rates: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, variable
88 buffer sizes/latencies available: 1.5 ms, 3 ms, 6 ms, 12 ms, 23 ms, 46 ms, 93 ms, 186 ms
Unsurpassed Bitclock PLL (audio synchronization) in ADAT mode
Enhanced Zero Latency Monitoring for latency-free submixes and perfect ASIO Direct Monitoring

This is a compact, professional product designed with a certain set of audio needs and options in mind, but, without compromise in sound quality.
I've been in the recording business now for 15 years using computer based systems and RME products just keep on rockin' without so much as a hitch or a glitch of any kind and the score that I'm giving this product ? Man, I cannot find a fault with the product. If you can let me know.

2nd April 2012

RME Multiface II by curere

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
RME Multiface II

This is the RME Multiface that is 18 in and 18 out AD DA Converter. What is nice about RME is not just the brand and the sturdy and rock solid way in which it is packaged and presented but the sturdiness is in the quality of its sound.

You have a variety of cards to connect to your computer and interface with your DAW but the software was easily installed and the fact that it has MIDI ports on the Multiface allows for you to integrate all aspects of your studio into this one little box.

The lack of mic pres allows you the engineer to select your favorite mic pres that you are already working with, to work and incorporate its defining color into your workflow.

You have the ability to expand the inputs from just taking analog inputs to ADAT ins and outs that would allow for you to maximize and get the full 18 inputs both digitally and with 8 analog, 8 digital inputs and the last two being SPDIF. Total Mix Software allows you to interface and makes the unit more user friendly.

Right out of the box it connected to my Hammerfall card and my interface was improving the quality of my sound. So much so that I had a basic mic preamp that I returned because it did not add to the already pristine transparent quality of the converter. The word clock syncs it with your other digital gear and the clock on RME is as rock solid as the build of the unit.

I believe the most important area of RME is that whether you are a seasoned professional or a beginner in the music production trade you would appreciate the sound and the music you are making with the RME Multiface.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search