13th March 2012

Heet Sound Products EBow by Jack Morgan

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Ebow Plus

So many of my favourite artists have used the Ebow, I just had to get one. REM and Sigur Ros even have song titles with “Ebow” in them: “Ebow the Letter” and, uh, “Ebow”.

You use this 9V battery-powered device instead of a plectrum, positioning it above strings one by one – a small electrical charge vibrates the string, providing limitless sustain until you take it away. You can make your guitar sounds like a violin, cello, organ, flute, you name it.

The Ebow is stylish and ergonomically well designed. The blue LED also looks really cool, lighting up your guitar on a dark stage and making you look like some sort of musical Jedi. There are two modes on either side of the single switch’s “off” position. One is a straightforward vibration of the note you are holding, the other adds upper harmonics.

Once you’ve had some practice (you need to position and move the Ebow carefully to get the sound you want, whether smooth/aggression, legato/staccato) – it’s a brilliant sounding effect. For my purposes, it sounds gorgeous for recording a layered, artificial string section, as well as ambient drones.

Obviously in terms of sound quality, so much is determined by how you process your signal. I tend to roll off a lot of my telecaster’s high-end using the tone knob, then send it through lots of delay and reverb. Sounds beautiful.

Using a slide with the Ebow is a lot of fun and turns your guitar-turned-violin into a theramin or an Ondes-Martinot. Perfect for playing the Dr Who theme tune. Or Radiohead, that’s probably a better idea.

An essential tool for me… 10/10

19th March 2012

Heet Sound Products EBow by Wesma

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Ebow Plus

This thing is an amazing tool when producing music. It really turns my guitar into a completely different instrument. The sound possibilities are almost endless and I keep finding new interesting sounds every time I use this little magic tool. There are two different settings on the E-bow, one that adds more upper harmonics than the other.
When using a Fender Telecaster with the neck pickups and the right amount of good distortion and presence you can almost make it sound like a cello or violin. I really like to do multiple takes with different voicing to make big “string sections” to support a track. Reverb and delays can also make the sounds even more beautiful and playing with a slide can be cool too. It can really add some nice depth to a track.
The E-bow doesn’t look like much, it looks like a strange little plastic toy, but it has been the secret weapon on a lot of records out there. It is not only useful with an electric guitar, you can get some cool results on acoustic guitar as well. A good example is Bon Ivers “Flume”.

The Ebow is not very cheap but if you find a used one you can get a really good price.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Ebow Plus
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search