The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peluso R14 Ribbon Mic REVIEW

Peluso Microphones R 14

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Ribbon mic records angry man in Athens GA

13th March 2012

Peluso Microphones R 14 by VillageRecordist

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Peluso R14 Ribbon Mic REVIEW

The R-14 Ribbon Microphone from John Peluso at Peluso Microphone Lab recently made its way into the Village Recordist’s mic locker, or…my small blue vintage box purse. The R-14?s design is inspired by classic ribbon microphones, which Peluso has certainly crossed paths with in his 27 years of working with microphones. Appropriately timed, I had the pleasure of spending a week with Yazan, a good friend & country blues musician (who was born/raised in New York City) It was only right that a player of true integrity christen this microphone.

Usually I futz around with mic placement to hear my options, but this time the mic stayed where I first placed it. The Peluso R-14 sounded just right, right there – three feet in front of Yazan’s head, aimed at his throat. Why I hadn’t purchased the microphone earlier was the only question I asked myself. The ribbon captured just enough presence of his Gibson to let you know this man was doing much more than strumming – it caught the motion of Yazan’s playing. The percussiveness was not overstated, it was tamed. The movement was clear and round, not distracting. The top end was smooth and warm yet defined.

Yazan’s vocals didn’t have a problem traveling three feet, in fact he even had me reaching for a pop-filter occasionally. The vocals slid into the R-14 with warmth and body. Once in a while the figure-8 pattern beautifully picked up reflections from across the pond – adding a slight & wonderful effect to the performance. We were recording on the porch of a an old house facing a pond. The mic maintained its clarity & sensitivity, picking up great detail even at low levels.

When Yazan went to stompin’ in the middle of a take, the R-14 was waiting to pick up his porch rattling beats with enough clarity & low-end to remind you where these songs were coming from; however, it was far from an out-of-control muddy rumble. It was curious to me what this microphone was capable of.

The R-14 captured realism with an undeniable musicality – Peluso’s 27 years of experience are obvious when you hear this microphone. Needless to say, the R-14 gets another great review and I’m looking forward to checking out his other microphones. Hear recordings from this session here.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Peluso R14 Ribbon Mic REVIEW
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search