The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam A5X
4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Adam A5X's are monitor speakers developed by Adam at a good price point for an excellent output.

11th March 2012

ADAM Audio A5X by MikeTSH

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Adam A5X

Design

Adam A5X's are surprisingly well build for the price, offering a very narrow body that allows for them to placed discreetly within your studio or room. The 5" woofer is also, design-wise alone, very well made. The outer ring of the main woofer is coated with a plastic, with the cone being very strong. A lot of the time with monitor speakers one of my major fears has been the cone getting damaged in transport; with these I am far more at ease. The gain knobs on the front I was, strange for some, over the moon with. The fact that they snap to the -Inf, 0 and +14dB settings, 7, 12 and 5 o'clock, was incredibly useful, especially in helping keep volumes between the monitors even.

Sound

Initially I thought these monitors were extremely bass heavy, however, with some easy modification at the back of the monitors and adjustment of my room's acoustic treatment, these things really came to life. Incredible sound for the price, especially in the mids. I've noticed amongst others at the price point such as KRK's, many monitor speakers tend to suffer from an almost "smile-EQ" kind of effect, scooping out a ton of the mids which is a detriment to any mixing engineer, professional or hobbyist.

Honestly, save your money and buy these monitors if your price point is around £600. The A7X's ARE superior, but honestly, the A5X's are such a small step down from the A7X's, you'd be a fool not to at least consider them.

18th March 2013

ADAM Audio A5X by iamkimosabi

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Adam A5X

I stepped these up at my home mixing room from KRK RP5 G2 and K10S sub woofer.

The type of music I work with is mostly bass heavy, hip hop, RNB, club music, dance music, EDM, and the occasional rock/folk/acoustic songs every now and then.

As I attended school, I got to use school facilities and hear how the Genelecs sound, the NS10, the Meyer Studio Series, the Event Precisions. At home, I owned the lower tier KRK RP5's compared to the monitors we have at school.

The Adams stack up WAY OVER the RP5s I have at home. The highs are more detailed, I can tell the dynamics in some songs I couldn't before. On Alanis Morrisettes - Ironic, I can hear the dynamics of her singing, some of her notes are louder than others, and the ironiC (k sound) are more pronounced when she says ironic. I can hear every instrument in stereo field. I can hear EVERYTHING period. I couldn't tell with the KRK. These make the KRK monitors sound like...lower tier monitors. Prosumer if you will.

The controls on the back are great too if you need to compensate for your room. My room is treated with built panels, and basstraps. It's a small room, and I did a real time frequency analysis with 20hz-20khz pink noise, and I have a slight bump around 16k - 20k. I guess that's the fact that these monitors go above 20k hitting 50 khz with the X-art ribbon tweeters.

I complimented these with the K10s sub that I have used with the KRK RP5 G2 pair, and they go well together. Though, I know I may have to upgrade the sub later...it's not a extreme need, as the K10s sub works pretty well with detail and level with the A5X monitors.

The Transient DETAILS, wow. When you get these, and you finally burn them in...go and listen to a song with lots of dynamic range.

I've been listening to many genres on these and they surprise me with almost every song, some songs I feel like some details are missing, but I believe it's the song and not the monitors.

On some rap songs, I can hear some adlibs I haven't heard before. I can hear details such as room reverb...like on Far East Movement - G6, you can hear a bit of the room or maybe its the reverb they used, but it defintely does not sound dry.

Korn Freak on a Leash - DETAILED. Everything is seperated, I can hear the damn snare drum and it sounds like a real snare drum with the thunk to it.

I dunno...maybe im just happy about my purchase, but dang...im happy with these. Period. For a while....maybe forever. Who knows?

11th April 2014

ADAM Audio A5X by gasolin

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Adam A5X

Have krk rokit powered 5 g3, alot of heavy lower midrange,mid bass and bass(down to 50-45hz) upper midrange and lower treble is a bit to soft and a neutral tweeter.

Many say the Adam A7X sounds different then the A5X, biggeste different is a bit more bass, 4db louder and alot more expensive.

The Adam A5X has more resonable price and size that fits my pocket, size of room and isoacoustics stands.

Noticed at the store the top has to be lowered a bit, but not in my room, the level in my room is approved with my stands soundcard (presonus 22vsl), nuforce interconnects (xlr) and usb cable.

The sound is more clear and open then my krk's without any fattigue, the bass goes down to about 50hz and is enough for al kinds of modern electronic based music, below 50hz using a bass test on youtube, it goes down to 42-40 hz before you can't hear it without raising the volume and is a bit lower around 110hz to 135hz, theres alot of power (adam claims 110db spl) so if you want to you can party with these small giants.

I only gave the sound quality 4 because there is many speakers that have better sound, more power (spl) and more bass, but they are much more expensive and could easily be something made by adam audio

30th January 2021

ADAM Audio A5X by horriblemind

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Adam A5X

I've been using Adam A5X for almost a year now in my home studio for producing and mixing (mostly my own material) and I'm satisfied with pretty much every aspect of these monitors.

They have very clear, distortion-free sound with great transient response. You can hear every detail, every instrument and every change you make sound-wise, be it EQ, compression, or reverb, or other effects.

Their ribbon tweeter provides pristine, distortion-free sound at high frequencies and is also not fatiguing at all, although I've heard that for some people it sounds weird or unpleasant (honestly I don't know why, because IMO it has a lot less distortion than a typical metal dome tweeter), so it's a good idea to test-listen before you buy it. I can listen and work on these monitors for hours without any ear fatigue.

Obviously A5X are not as detailed sounding in lower mids and bass as 8" monitors, but it is due to their woofer size difference, i.e. applies to all monitors of this size and can't be considered a disadvantage of these particular monitors. You can't beat the laws of physics here.

Overall I think that A5X are one of the best sounding 5" monitors in this price range. Be aware, though, that for controlling deep bass you must use another pair of monitors (with a bigger woofer), or a subwoofer, or good headphones.