The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ATC SCM25A PRO monitors

ATC Loudspeakers SCM25A Pro

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The ATC SCM25a monitors are the ideal nearfields to compliment soffit-mounted mains.

11th March 2012

ATC Loudspeakers SCM25A Pro by Clueless

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
ATC SCM25A PRO monitors

A great nearfield monitor should give you the truth and get out of the way. The ATC SCM25A does both, within its design parameters.

ATC are very up-front and honest about the capabilities of the SCM25A, spec'ing it down to only 74 Hz +/- 2dB. If you are a glass-half-empty kind of person, you might be tempted to look at other small monitors that have better low-end specs, but don't be misled! Within their design parameters, the SCM25As are absolutely brilliant.

The 3" soft-dome midrange driver is perhaps the defining element of this speaker, but the whole package is exceptional, considering how small the speakers are. Many who are familiar with larger ATC monitors are instantly comfortable with the reference that these provide.

Again, when compared with other nearfield monitor candidates we compared against in our main control room, these stood out as far-and-away the best contenders. I am torn about whether to give these speakers 10/10 for performance within the laws of physics, or 7/10 as a more realistic representation of what they can deliver vs. speakers 10x their size and more than 2x their price. I compromised and gave them 8/10, weighing absolute sound quality slightly more heavily, but within their category, they are #1.

15th April 2020

ATC Loudspeakers SCM25A Pro by Slange00

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
ATC SCM25A PRO monitors

Background
I recently upgraded my monitoring speakers from Adam S2Vs to ATC SCM25as. I work in a dedicated, treated, but small studio space (10x10x8). I occasionally use a sub (Adam sub12) and use Trinnov's ST2 room correction system. I mainly produce and do mix down work. I do not master.

Sound Quality & Accuracy
These are fantastic revealing yet enjoyable speakers. Whereas the treble in the Adam S2Vs led to recurring fatigue on long sessions, I can have the ATC SCM25a going all day without listening fatigue. They are both unforgiving (revealing the flaws in your work ruthlessly) while being enjoyable and inspiring to work through. The sweetspot is large (side to side) while the sound image is deep and allows for excellent spatial positioning of content. I can personally attest to the accuracy of the mid range driver as I have been able to mid range discern content I have not heard on the S2Vs or much more expensive HiFI systems I have access to for reference. It is an absolute pleasure to work with these speakers, most of all so far my production and mix decisions have translated very well.

Limitations
First of all there is the price - a time limited recent sale made these speakers more attainable for me. That being said, the added pleasure of working with them, the time savings of making mix and production decisions that translate well, the fact that these are 3 ways with (to me) relatively unproblematic cross over frequencies and lastly the overall small dimensions (vs the overall sound I get) all in my book added up to a 5 star value rating. Here you really do get what you pay for!
Another couple limitations to note: the speakers linear frequency response rolls off around 74Hz. I am producing EDM with a lot of important content sub 70Hz. You may need an additional sub. The speakers are functioning entirely in the analogue domain, no DSP, no digital inputs, no DSP based EQ tweaking. This is not a problem for me as I am using a separate room correction system, but may be more problematic for others

All up, an amazing pleasurable extremely revealing monitor speaker with very high build quality that works in relatively small spaces.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search