The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Celemony Melodyne Editor v2

Celemony Melodyne Editor 2

4.15 4.15 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Pitch Correction Plug-in

10th March 2012

Celemony Melodyne Editor 2 by Jack Morgan

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

This is an exceptional plugin that is very useful for countless creative/remixy/sound-designy reasons as well as being a great practical workhorse pitch corrector. I switched from Digital Performer to Logic, so it’s great to have this plugin to make up for Logic’s lack of a real-time pitch correction option (oh how I wish a Pitch view” existed in a drop down menu like “Flex-Time view”).

Melodyne is quite rightly a big name in the world of music production. I still can’t quite believe what it does is possible… the creator is a genius for following through on a wish that so many producers must have had for a long time. The big deal about Melodyne is that you can manipulate complex polyphonic material as if it were a MIDI track. Woh!

There are three algorithms you can use to manipulate audio: Melodic, Polyphonic and Percussive, a very useful distinction for working with different types of audio. As I’ve said, Polyphonic is the most “woh!” The first thing I tried it on was Elliott Smith’s choir of himself in “I Didn’t Understand”. With Melodyne I could go in and adjust single notes or groups of notes within the chords, creating a completely different harmonic arrangement. For remix artists this must be revolutionary – you would be able to piece just about any samples together and massage them with Melodyne until they match harmonically.

There are a couple of frustrations with using Melodyne. One would be solved if it could be integrated into Logic or other DAWs – I wish that functions like copy, paste, undo and redo were the same key commands as in Logic, because I instinctively press Ctrl Z to undo a note shift and it removes the plugin entirely! Also, there’s no pencil tool like on Digital Performer – that’s actually quite a shame because you can’t pitch correct with surgical precision. Maybe that’s in the pipeline though?

11th March 2012

Celemony Melodyne Editor 2 by seangray1

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

After a long time faffing around with Autotune I found the perfect solution: Melodyne.

It's got a WAY more interesting interface. It's quick (however I would appreciate some shortcuts for switching tools, maybe I have yet to find them).

The sound is the best! I've been trying it on vocals. The different algorithms offer enough flexibility to tune stuff very subtly but effectively. You can go quite far without hearing any of the melodyne.

Every now and again there is an awkward part, but they have methods to sort most stuff out with some perfect tuning. It's fast and uncomplicated.

There's also a really good tutorial made by Celemony themselves. It's a great introduction to the program. In 5-10 minutes of that video you will be able to use it without thinking. It's on youtube.

It also does polyphonic stuff. Haven't tried that yet, but I hear that it's unbelieveable. Record a guitar with a slightly detuned string and this'll save your whole recording.
I recorded guitar today and noticed the player didn't quite nail it on some frets, so I will try and pitch that one note in a polyphonic guitar recording. Apparently also works if you want to drag a whole take down a key or two.

Go for it. It's damn cheap too! Nothing to loose.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Celemony Melodyne Editor v2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search