The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boss Syb 5 Bass Synth

Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer Pedal

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Bass Synthesizer effect pedal

9th March 2012

Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer Pedal by elwood88

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Boss Syb 5 Bass Synth

Boss SYB-5
Bass Synthesizer effect pedal
Overview:
11 different synth sounds
Filter + resonance section
2 Gains for dry and Fx signal
Rate/Decay knob
Expression pedal in
2 Outs to split signal

I as a bassist don’t work with FX that much but sometimes it’s a good option to get most auf of a track.
I purchased the boss synth pedal cause I loved the idea of getting a deep and fat synth bass sound for my band.

The Concept of the pedal is very nice and easy to handle.
Plug in your bass to the input and the Expression Pedal (Boss EV 5 recommended) into the exp in.
The Expression Pedal will handle the Rate/Decay knob and is pretty useful to control the LFO Speed on the filter when u use the sounds on bank 3 +6.
For the other banks it works as a great real time morphing tool to tweak the **** out of your synth while playing.

The Filter Section contains a FQ + Resonance and explains it self pretty easy.

The Outputs and the splitting of the FX and dry signal are pretty interesting but I don’t see a use in it if you aint use two amps.

If you keep the pedal pressed down on bank 3 + 6 the synth keeps playing and you can play solo with your clean bass sound, in this case the dry bass signal sound need to be very loud to hear what’s going on.

First tried out the synth makes a very good impression, but in band context I faced some problems that I thought I would not have to deal with when I buy a boss product.
First there on my unit (may others don’t) there is a little latency when I hit the stomp box so you need to hit it a 16th note before the FX gets audible.
Also the synth response to low notes on the E string isn’t that good.
Deep notes get a pretty short sustain and there is a lack of definition in the sound.

All in all you get some very dirty distortion like sounds of it, and it’s pretty much fun experimenting with it. Nasty sounds are no problem and for some finger funk and slap style you get some nice percussive high reso FX out of it.
For sure there are better synth modules out there but in this price range boss did a good job.
Like always with bass FX take care how and where u use them, then u get the best out of it.

cheers

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Boss Syb 5 Bass Synth
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search