The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Casio Privia PX-130

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Exceeded keyboards costing twice as much for authentic piano feel.But Lacks variety of sounds. No midi sliders or knobs to use with your DAW

9th March 2012

by shreddersinc

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75

I'm surprised this hasn't been reviewed.The privia px130 is great to have for a real pianist to come in and play a keyboard that play's very very close to a real piano. I have a real piano at home and this is very impressive in that respect.
This is casio privia's bottom of the line keyboard. The major difference being is it doesn't have near the sounds of it's bigger brother. And is missing a few features like 1/4 inch audio out. It doesn't have a separate midi connection all you have is a usb out and a 1/8 inch audio out. By the way for the mac anyway there is no driver to install or worry about updating it just works right out of the box. Really set up couldn't be any easier, at least with a mac. This does have a very good grand piano sampled sound. Also the electric piano sound is alright, along with the classic grand piano with chorus. The sustain pedal really brings the grands to life. I'm not crazy about the speakers being pointed away from you, but does make sense for performances.
Getting back to the authentic feel of the keys it does have the scaled hammer action, which feels way out of it's price range. I tried several keyboards and nothing touched this no where near it's price range. It has four dynamic layers of stereo piano, which I would swear is more. It has all 88 keys and 128 note polyphony which is enough for the virtuosos.
It has a duet mode that can be useful for teaching because it splits the keyboard into to equal parts. It also has a built in 2 track recorder which can come in handy.
The reason I bought this was because of the realistic piano feel and I use it with logic 9 so I wasn't worried about it having a bunch of sounds.
So the cons for some would be basically nothing for midi control besides awesome keybed. And you have to move up to the next model to get a good variety of built in sounds. But if your like me and you don't care about having tons of built in sounds. The px-130 might be just what your looking for. I will admit it would be nice if it had a couple midi controls, but that's my only complaint.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Casio Privia PX-130
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search