The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Line 6 - Dr. Distorto

Line 6 Dr. Distorto

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Distortion pedal for the heavy side of life.

8th March 2012

Line 6 Dr. Distorto by Czybulski

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Line 6 - Dr. Distorto

In this review, I am going to present my favorite distortion-pedal: Dr. Distorto by Line 6.
The one and only reason I am using this unit in both live and recording situations is quite simple: tone.
When compared to other well-known brands and pedals, this little fellow first of all surprises with its punch. It has a remarkable amount of power in the lows that I very often miss in other pedals. It is a go-to unit for a tight, grounded guitar sound in the heavier hemisphere, so anything around grunge, stoner rock, sludge and metal should be covered with this thing.
Turning down the drive little by little, our Dr. Distorto also delivers a broad range of very pleasant overdrive sounds. The tone knob isn’t just for decoration, either. Any tick to one side or the other allows making drastic character changes. All of this in a very pleasant range.
Now the second row of knobs, “rise”, “fall” and “blend” and the “off-sustain-oct”-switch are the self-titled FDBK (feedback/sustainer controls), and they all have to do with the “unique harmonic sustainer circuit”. According to the description, this circuit allows “to achieve incredible sustain at any distortion level”. I have never found a real use for this, so in my eyes this is just a gimmick. The same goes with the little “octave” switch, where you can add another sustained tone one octave above the note you’re playing. The change in sound is very subtle and not better by any means. I leave that FDBK-thing set to “off”.
Quite more useful is the “gate”-switch. Set to “clamp” it really suppresses any noise from your guitar while you are being all thoughtful and amusing on the microphone between two songs. However, when you hit the strings again for the first power cord, you don’t lose any millisecond of attack.

I say 10 for sound quality, as mentioned above.

I say 9 for ease of use, because I find it a little bulky, so you need to lift your foot a little more to stomp on it than with other pedals.

I say 8 for features, because it has more (useless?) features than it would actually need.

I say 9 for the price. There are cheaper ones that sound ok. However, this one is also built in a solid way and it sounds terrific, so maybe a 10 would also work.

Last edited by Czybulski; 8th March 2012 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: typo

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Line 6 - Dr. Distorto
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search