The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Orban 622b Parametric Equalizer

Orban 622B

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

2 Channel vintage parametric EQ

8th March 2012

Orban 622B by babooino

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

This the Orban 622b vintage Parametric Equalizer. Like every other orban gear, it was probably meant to broadcast market. As i have a 111b spring reverb of the same line, i can use that as a reference to mention that the blue face Orbans are not on the hi-fi side of things, but they do sound good.

This nice vintage piece of gear has 2 channels with 4 bands of parametric equalization each. In each band there's a in/out switch which is very handy for AB'ing and there's a master bypass switch for each channel too. Despite being a little bit on the noisy side, 622b is very colorful (in a nice way) and it has been a workhorse here on my studio, specially on kick, bass and smoothing out problematic singers.
I wouldn't use it in mastering, as each channel grew to have it's own character, but it is probably possible to match both channels sonically, tough.

I definitely recommend you to grab one if there's a chance to find a price, as you probably won't get any plugin to do what it does. All in all, this a great piece of gear whether you are mixing ITB or OTB.

31st December 2015

Orban 622B by Vern

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

This is a great stereo EQ. I've owned one for about 7 years and I enjoy watching the value of these things go up as it's USUALLY a sign that people are starting to understand the value of a particular piece of equipment, (unless people just like to pay extra $$$ for vintage audio gear because its vintage).

Sound Quality:
This unit, as the previous reviewer does indeed color the sound of your audio in a good way. It adds some nice analog harmonic distortion to your signal that always spices a track up for me. This is a two channel unit and my most common uses are to use it over an entire mix as a stereo EQ. Since the unit is fully parametric, there is quite a bit of control here for sculpting out (or in) whichever frequencies that you like. I find that this unit can be very precise as it allows for different Q as well. I've used the famed Masseberg GML8200 Mastering EQ in my lifetime quite a bit and found that I can achieve similar results from my Orban; almost. While the GML doesn't partake much of a color to the signal, the Orban will most definitely, which some will like and some will not. If you want some color, this is a great choice. Of course it also sounds good and works well on individual tracks if you want some precision EQ.

Ease of use:
If you are familiar with a parametric EQ and have used one in the past then you will be ok with this unit. It's straightforward.

Features:

It is what it is. It has a bypass switch for every single band of EQ which is absolutely great. You can A/B your individual EQ bands or also the entire processed signal. This is a well-built unit, it doesn't feel cheap whatsoever and the potentiometers are also well built and "heavy" feeling. With age, my unit doesn't exactly match output gain as well as it used to from each of the two channels, but using my ear I can adjust for that. There is an "overload" light on each channel as well which will help you adjust your incoming signal to not hit the EQ too hard. I will warn you that there is not a ton of headroom with this EQ and the incoming signal so you will have to adjust your input gain down a bit. There is no output gain makeup on this unit. The silkscreening is very nice and legible, and the unit is not very heavy whatsoever. It's actually quite light overall. There's also an on/off switch which is nice as some of these older EQ units need to be unplugged to switch off.

Bang for the buck:

Couldn't be happier! In today's pro audio world you are hard-pressed to find any suitable hardware for $300; vintage or not. I believe that I bought this unit for $250 on ebay (which was a good price even then) but today they can be had for anywhere from $350 cheaply to $550+. Even at $550 I would purchase a well-taken care of unit. Easily. Just to have a decent and PRECISE and aptly analog master section EQ to strap over a mix for that price is hard to find. I don't think you need to have a whole rack of these, but this has come in handy in adding master EQ (especially cranking the top end EQ for that extra bit of "air" in your mixes after you think you are through with the mix--the orban always makes it sound more open and big for me).

Overall, I think this is a great unit, I wouldn't want to have it missing from my rack (even though I don't use it EVERY mix; but almost), and you should probably pick one up if you can before the secret gets out that this is probably a $1000 poor man's version of the $10,000 GML.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Orban 622b Parametric Equalizer
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search