The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Monitor Station
4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Presonus' inexpensive monitor controlling solution for project studios.

7th March 2012

PreSonus Monitor Station by aclarson

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Presonus Monitor Station

For quite a while I had been using software control for my monitoring and headphone outputs. But having to constantly mute/unmute, switching windows from Pro Tools to interface control panel, and dragging that level control up and down manually on screen had gotten very tedious. I would occasionally also restart my PC and forget about my monitors, and would get a loud pop in the speakers when restarting. No bueno. Not to mention that reducing level in software degrades the sound more than an analog control due to the loss of bits. I decided it was time to add a controller to streamline my workflow.

I looked at some of the pricier options, and they are nice, but they all cost more than I was looking to spend. The Monitor Station fit the bill nicely. I have a loft with my recording desk on it, so I had been wanting a second headphone amp for upstairs and down, so when I got the Monitor Station, I was able to use the built in headphone amp for monitoring, so I moved my other HP amp downstairs. Plus, I was able to hook the downstairs amp to my HP output on the Monitor Station, allowing me to use talkback on both amps. Pretty cool. The talkback has been a useful feature as sometimes it's difficult for me to get the guitarist or drummer's attention when they're rocking out and I'm ready to hit record.

Having the switchable and multiple outputs allows for a fairly complex network of monitoring equipment to be switched in and out rather effortlessly, and it's configurable in a number of different ways; beyond the obvious stuff visible from the front panel, there's also a number of hidden yet accesable features such as different switch latching states, meter calibration, etc. The mono button is nice for quickly checking your work, and dim is nice when you wanna hear someone in the room without totally killing the music.

I've heard there's other options that are better sonically. I don't notice much difference with or without it in the chain, perhaps a subtle one, but in general I would think this would be low on the list of worries -- once you have good room treatment, top notch monitoring, and high-end conversion, then it's probably worth fussing over the monitor controller. Until that time, this is an adequate sounding, highly-functional upgrade for your studio. This item falls in the category of things that make it easier to make music with less annoyance, and I generally always consider those items to be worth every dollar if they make it easier to make my art.

18th May 2015

PreSonus Monitor Station by Mirolab1

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Presonus Monitor Station

We have been using our original v1 Monitor Station for about 3 years now; first in our small demo studio, and now in our much larger tracking studio with live room and ISO booths.... we LOVE the functionality of the Version 1 unit. Everything is right there at your fingertips... all levels, and (4) headphone outs! Why is it that all higher-end controllers only have 1 or 2 headphone outs??

We like v1 even better than v2 cause it's got the monitor trims right there on top. For v2, they moved them to the back panel and made them tiny. Now i understand that ideally, these should be calibrated, and then not messed with...but we are a tracking studio... not high end mastering... and gosh darn it i want to be able to easily tweak my subwoofer level as needed.

While the functionality is priceless.... Unfortunately the sound quality is really that of a $300 device.... it's just OK. I have been looking desperately to replace this unit with something better, but just can't find anything. I really WISH Presonus would make an $800 version of THIS UNIT with better knobs and better sonics. We have 2 units now, both with their main volume pot getting noisy and scratchy. I just took one apart to see if it's upgradeable at all, but with surface mount everything... i just don't see an easy way to upgrade it.... even just the one main volume pot. I shot it with cleaner, and we'll see how long that lasts.

So after owning 2 units for several years... i can say I still love the functionality, but tired of the wiggly, noisy volume pots, and wishing the sonics were better..... but i don't see ANYthing at ANY price that does what Monitor Station does...... and don't tell me about the Central Station!.... Passive.... really? In a studio? Are you kidding me?

Highly recommended...... for the price.