The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Cambridge EQ Plug-In

Universal Audio Cambridge EQ Plug-In

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

UAD Cambridge EQ Plug-In

7th March 2012

Universal Audio Cambridge EQ Plug-In by Jack Morgan

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
UAD Cambridge EQ Plug-In

I’ve defected from Oxford to join Cambridge. I’m talking about something much more important than university courses or boat races: EQ! Ok, that was geeky, but so is EQ. Especially this one.

UAD’s Cambridge EQ is very similar to Sonnox’s Oxford EQ in terms of its colourful graphic layout as well as functionality. Cambridge wins me over with its pristine yet warm sound quality. This EQ is often described as being “surgical”. Indeed it does provide a really detailed, flexible set of parameters, which are pretty intuitive to handle. But the analog sweetness that can be achieved with just gentle curves is what really impresses me with this plugin.

Unlike many other UAD plugins, this is not modelled on a vintage hardware unit. It’s a precise, digital EQ, minus the digital sound. According to UAD each of the 17 high and low pass filter types is designed to approximate the response of classic analog filters. It’s a very impressive effort and sweeps away other parametric competitors (sorry Oxford, even you).

9th March 2012

Universal Audio Cambridge EQ Plug-In by Wesma

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
UAD Cambridge EQ Plug-In

The UAD Cambridge EQ is a very good tool when you have to get surgical with a sound. All the other EQ’s from UAD are more for character and sound shaping so it’s nice to have this one for the trickier stuff. The sound of the Cambridge is also very nice compared to a lot of other parametric EQ’s I’ve tried out.

I mostly use the Cambridge to cut out nasty frequencies. My small studio/rehearsing room is not perfect when it comes to acoustics, I sometimes get some ringing in certain frequencies. Some instruments also have some bad resonance going on. The Cambridge helps out a lot in those cases. It is very versatile, you can choose a lot of different slopes on the high and low cut filters and also choose different shelf modes.
The Cambridge does sound ok when boosting but I prefer to use a different EQ for that purpose, especially when boosting high frequencies. They tend to get a little harsh with the Cambridge.

I got the UAD Cambridge when I bought the Classic EQ bundle and it gets used on every project, sometimes just for high passing. It doesn’t take up a lot of DSP so you can have a lot of instances and still have room for a lot of other UAD plugins.
I am glad I bought it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... UAD Cambridge EQ Plug-In
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search