The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio 2LA2

Universal Audio 2-LA-2

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

A dual channel revision of the classic LA2a compressor. Clean and clear, warm and predictable.

6th March 2012

Universal Audio 2-LA-2 by Ward Pike

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Universal Audio 2LA2

The LA2a is renowned as one of the most loved compressors in our field of work. There are many variants that hae come along over the years but most of the variants offer cosmetic and branding differences and not actual fundamental changes in sound or usefulness.

The (presently and hopefully temporarily) discontinued 2LA2 is a dual channel (linkable for stereo) LA2a that represents everything we love and find useful in an LA2a. The controls are simple... leveling amount (peak reduction) and make-up gain (gain) in two large knobs with switches for choosing limiting and compressing, true bypass, stereo linking and meter monitoring.

I am quite familiar with many vintage LA2 comps and this unit is no slouch. I use it regularly to control the levels of vocals, bass, guitars and even keys during tracking. Not only does it provide great dynamic control but improves the tone of anything that passes through it. It's like it inserts a glue into an audio program that allows it to gel with anything else in the mix.

As for technical details? Get them from the website...or other sources.

I highly recommend this dual channel tube compressor and couldn't work without it to the same results.

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 4th August 2014 at 01:07 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search