The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M Audio Oxygen 49 Midi Keyboard

M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen

4.1 4.1 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Awesome midi keyboard. Best bang for your buck.

5th March 2012

M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen by jpez15

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

Let me start off by saying that I have owned a thing or two from M-Audio and have never been disappointed with what they provide when I have a tight budget. Just thinking about buying a piece of equipment that has the M-Audio name on it, you are heading in the right direction. Now, this is the first keyboard I have ever owned and still the only one I own. That being said, I love it so much I will NEVER get rid of it. The overall quality and feel of the keyboard is outstanding. The knobs on the top right of the keyboard serve as a mini midi controller and they feel great. The pitch and mod wheel are also very smooth and stable. As far as performance goes, it is very easy start up and go, just plug it in through USB, maybe even go through the settings in your DAW, and BAM its ready to go. I use ableton, so it would just do what it does best assigned itself automatically for me. DEFINITELY THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK. If you are looking to getting a high quality piece of equipment and have a tight budget, this is definitely something you want to look at. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, I promise you it would be hard to ever part with this keyboard.

5th March 2012

M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen by bryzaguy

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5

I've owned almost every flavor of the M-Audio 49 keyboard controllers. They are awesome rugged keyboards that have all the functionality you really need. Key things being the Mod and Pitch wheels, rotors, faders, transport control section and keys of course. I will say that the quality of the materials for the rotors/faders leaves much to be desired. They are functional, however, and get the job done. There are certainly things that are left out with these keyboards like x/y control and other fancier midi controls but at the price point of the oxygen it's really difficult to complain. Mine has taken quite the beating. I still have the one I purchased almost 6 years ago and it has taped up keys and the USB stopped working but I still love to use it. These guys were at the forefront of the midi home producer generation and I see them as a good company to continue to support. If you have some extra money, though, it's worth it to step up to the next level and get their keyboard controller with the pads and weighted keys as there's more you can do and it's an overall better experience. If money is tight though there isn't another keyboard that is a better choice.

20th July 2012

M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen by _Mark

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I'll start off by saying that this has been the easiest to use recording item I've ever used. Plug, and play. I'm on a MacBook Pro, and all I had to do was plug it in, and it worked no problem.

Sound Quality:
Not sure how anyone can judge this for this product, seeing as it makes no noise. I guess their software instruments must be terrible? It's only going to be as useful as you make it.

Ease of Use:
As I previously stated... EASY!

Features:
The keys are nicely (semi) weighted, and go very smooth. It's A LOT better than all the other controllers in its price range, for sure! ESPECIALLY AKAI!
My only complaint is the control surfaces on it... They're kind of hard to reset, and just aren't worth messing with, unless you want to use some sort of learn function. I just use the mixer in Logic.

Bang for Your Monehz:
Great buy! I got mine on sale from Guitar Center, for $106 after tax! I walked in planning to get a 25-key Akai, and walked out with nearly twice the keys (full sized, might I add!)! Try to find a good deal on it, because I'm sure there's plenty out there. If you can't, it's worth the $150, in my opinion.

Mark

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... M Audio Oxygen 49 Midi Keyboard
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search