The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Api 5500

API Audio 5500 Dual Equalizer

4.4 4.4 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

5th March 2012

API Audio 5500 Dual Equalizer by evilrocker

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Api 5500

I bought my 5500 dual mono eq primarly for the two bus, but noticed early that my recordings would benefit from this wonderful piece of gear.

It works well for mix duties, tracking and also mastering with the 0.5 db switch engaged. There is really something special to this unit, I can not actually get things sound bad through this one, just different. It can beef up your mixes and also open up an airy sound, got just a tiny bit of too much upper mids? No problems just let the 5500 cut 0.5-1db in that area.

One thing that surprised me was running vocals through an Akg mic and I thought it sounded good but a little dull and boring. I put my 5500 in the signal path and made a small dip at 3k and a little bump at 12.5k and suddenly it sounded more towards a much more expensive mic. I also use it for tracking drums, I put one channel on the kick drums and the other on the snare. Here I can cut the kick around 400-600 and bring up the bottom a bit. The snare gets a bit more highs and maybe a cutting shelf below 100hz.

The only thing that I would miss on this unit is hp lp filters, but I gues you can't have it all. On the other hand you have stepped controls, switch for 0.5, 1.0 and 2db steps. High and low shelf.

In the end this is an awesome sounding unit that is easy to handle, recommended to everyone from beginners to pro.

14th August 2014

API Audio 5500 Dual Equalizer by TheDawg

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Api 5500

I think the 5500 is one of those pieces of gear that people either "in the know" know about and use or people don't think to go for it as a Bus EQ because other brands/units get more attention.

In any event, this is a fantastic bus EQ, I found, for Pop/Rock/Hip-Hop songs. I can really give the material that forward edge if that's what you need. Even what no EQ is added, the API OpAmps add flavor to the material that is simply pleasing to the ear. The ability to change the db increments into .5db, 1db, 2db is what really allows this piece to live on the 2bus. The ONLY knock on this unit is that there are no HP/LP filters which isn't a deal breaker but I sure would've been nice to have those in the analogue domain.

Simple to use, fantastic (API) sound, price point isn't bad either. I would highly recommend checking this piece out on your 2bus.

21st May 2015

API Audio 5500 Dual Equalizer by Magenta_rules

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Api 5500

First of all - i really love this Eq. It is my personal first choice for bus or mastering solutions. It sounds clean, but delivers the api-sound if you go hard on it. I love the knobs, i love the sound, i love the design. The only missing part are some frequenzys.... It would be great to boost up at 160 hz or 300 hz. thats all whats missing. Thumbs up for this unit!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Api 5500
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search