4th March 2012

Universal Audio Little Labs Voice of God Plug-In by sensationblack

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
UAD Little Labs® Voice Of God Bass

My latest purchase from UAD, and one of favorite already. As Electronic music composer, giving the bass the right treatment is the basic and how easy is that with UAD VOG. As you can see from my grades, everything is 10 except features, which is also advantage, cause you can't go lost with this plug-in.
This FX can go on one of the following parts: Kick, Snare, Bass, Lead and FX, but not altogether cause you’re mix will suffer from over bass.
Usually the trick that I do with this plug-in, is that I take the main lead and sends it into three different channels in the mixer. The first channel it’s the low-end of the lead. There is where I put the VOG. After giving the right treatment I’m taking the three channels and compress them together.
It’s also a great tool if you make your on mixes. From time to time I record my session from Traktor and I’m always feeling that something is missing. Even just a little bit from this FX can make any “pale” mix to very “pumpy” one.
One last thing about the plug, it’s only 150$. But at any promotion you can buy it for much less. I think that I bought my copy in 100$ only. Really worth it.

27th March 2012

Universal Audio Little Labs Voice of God Plug-In by The Renegade

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I recently bought the UAD Little Labs VOG for my UAD Satellite Duo to beef up my arsenal, and have found a really good use for it. Yeah, I know the videos on the UAD site demonstrate how it can be used to give presence and depth to vocals, which, after experimenting with it myself, it definitely delivers, but how many EDM producers find that their kick drums never quite have the low frequency power that you are really looking for?

I found that adding a little of the VOG directly to a kick, or placing it on a parallel compression channel really beefs up your kick drums like nothing else, nothing that I could quickly achieve with EQ and compression anyway. For the same reasons, it is also great used on bass sounds or thin sounds that you want to fatten up. The simplicity of use with 2 rotary pots and 3 buttons adds to the ease of use for this unique plug in. Just be careful not to get too carried away with it, or it totally takes over the frequency spectrum of your mix and can drastically affect your compression – a low cut for anything below 80Hz works really good when using this plug in.

Anyway, back to the subject. The versatility of this highly unique plug in is excellent, working brilliantly on pretty much anything you can throw at it. The temptation is there to use it on everything, but a little in moderation is definitely the way forward. I can’t recommend it enough, it is one of those plug ins that will have people asking ‘how did you get that to sound so fat?’, and will become a best kept secret in your arsenal for years to come.

27th June 2013

Universal Audio Little Labs Voice of God Plug-In by Ekkobelli

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Plugin Name: Voice Of God
Plattform: Universal Audio UAD / UAD-2
Cost: $ 149

Introduction
I work as a freelancer in various studios and my own studio and around 50% of what I do has to do with recording voice overs.

After some years of experience now, I wanted to see whether I could find a way to develop a sort of signature sound or at least find a chain that would help me shape recorded voices in a way that I could recreate in any studio with minimal effort. Enter Voice Of God.

Installation
After some research I bought the VOG for my UAD-2 Duo Satellite, which I've used in my and in various other studios for a while now. Installation and authorization is done quickly and painless, as with all UAD software.

Ease of use
The VOG has an easy to understand uncluttered interface and doesn't take up too much space on the screen.

Upon first use I had a slight issue with me getting used to the way this works:
- A GREEN lit 'LED' means off, while a RED one means activated

Furthermore, the center frequency, which determines the base frequency that is being altered by the frequency dial, is fixed and can be set to either 40 Hz, 100 Hz or 200 Hz. This first two settings are achieved by either 'pushing' the 40 Hz or 100 Hz button while 200 Hz is set by pushing both in. There's no 200 Hz button. Which is true to the hardware design, but kind of confusing at first if you too happen to belong to the group of users that never read manuals.

Sound & handling
Sonic quality of the VOG is great. Let's say I have a voice recording that for whatever reason lacks a little proximity effect.
I now chose my center frequency, let's say 100 Hz in this case, dial in the max amplitude and set the frequency dial initially to 0.
From here on I sweep through the frequency slowly, listening to where the desired rise of tone happens and re-adjust the amplitude.
Now I A/B with the use of the flat button.
In most cases and after some uses this will take you around 25 seconds.

While this may sound like it could be done with an Oxford-syle EQ and some notching as well, this certainly doesn't hold true.
The VOG indeed uses a very small bandwidth to boost frequencies but it also reduces some others around it in a way that I wasn't able to recreate with an EQ.
Jonathan Little, inventor of the hardware, says he put a lot of time and thought into the design of the VOG and while this is something that every manufacterer will say about their product, it certainly feels like it on this one.

After a while I started experimenting and found many other uses for the VOG, such as BD tuning (which untily this discovery always seemed difficult to do in software), getting some punch in "empty" snares, phattening up basslines or synths and doing creative sound design or foley work (thickening up swooshes, bodyfalls, impacts etc.). Altough there's not much to tweak with this plugin, it is very versatile and can be used on a varietly of sounds.

And while it is possible to use it on instruments playing varying notes, it does need some trickery: On a bass for example you may need to use multiple instances of the VOG tuned to individial notes. This can get weird, though, as the VOG does boost but also slightly notches down neighbouring frequencies. Hardly noticeable on single notes, this can become apparent when used in the aforementioned way with multiple instances on multiple notes.

Therefore I wouldn't completely recommend this as a type of basline enhancer, more of a multi purpose (one note) bass magnifier for all sorts of instruments or sounds which either carry bass that needs to be tuned / pusher or don't even have enough bass to begin with.

This plugin is also pretty light on the cpu(s) of the UAD. One instance takes up 1-2% of one SHARC-chip.

Conclusion
The VOG doesn't have a distinct sound of its own and will probably be copied in the future by other plugin companies, but gets my full recommandation nonetheless, as it's nothing short of a life saver for critical bass problems, a powerfull tool for sound design or for just pushing the quality of vocals or single instruments.

I feel that the price is acceptable for this one, considering also that Universal Audio has sales many times a year which sees the VOG drop to below $ 100 usually.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search