4th March 2012

Universal Audio Little Labs IBP Phase Alignment Tool Plug-In by Wesma

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
UAD Little Labs IBP Phase Alignment Tool

The UAD Little Labs IBP Phase Alignment Tool Plug-in is a great tool when working with material that has been recorded with multiple microphones like drums or an acoustic guitar in stereo. I remember when I first started recording I did not even know what phase was – or I did not really bother to try and understand because I did not think it was such a big deal.
When I first tried to mix a song I recorded I remember how the drums just sounded so thin and I learned the hard way that it was not going to help to do massive eq-boosts in the low end when the problem was that the tracks were out of phase with each other. So I learned about the phase button.
To be able to tweak the phase even more in such a simple way like with the IBP is just great. Before I used to just listened to tracks flipping the phase in and out and just stuck with whatever sounded best. With the IBP I can easily tweak the sounds to perfection.
It is a phase alignment tool but it is also a powerful EQ. It’s amazing how you can sculpt the sounds using phase interactions.
I haven’t used the hardware so can’t really comment if there is a difference but this plugin is a no brainer for me.

17th March 2012

Universal Audio Little Labs IBP Phase Alignment Tool Plug-In by sensationblack

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

Little labs IBP is very unique vst that can be very helpful. At IBP site its says “easily eliminates the undesirable hollow comb-filtered sound when combining out-of-phase and partially out-of-phase audio signals”. In the majority of sites and videos, they using this tool to correct recording, especially on guitars. My setup is two hardware synthesizers (slim phatty and lord modular g2 if you insist) and a lot of software synthesizers.
So how come I use this vst ? very simple, Although I’m not always recording outside gear, eliminating out of phase audio signals can also be done to software synth’s. I remembering demoing this tool only because UAD had the monthly promotion were if you buy three vsts’s you get 30% discount. I said to myself, let’s try this one to get bigger discount on other vst.
Without any exceptions, took some electro/tech house tracks and tried this tool on them. I was pretty surprised about the result. It was subtle changes but changes that were noticeable. I think that if I’m recommending this tool to ITB mixing and electronic production then, I think that the majority of engineers would need to use IBP.
I’m must say, that it’s intuitive tool and I’m keeping forget that I own this vst. But still, very useful one.

1st April 2012

Universal Audio Little Labs IBP Phase Alignment Tool Plug-In by at77

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Hello slutz,
this is a review of the UAD Little Labs IBP plugin. IBP stands for in between phase.
The basic idea is that sound waves can be completely or partial out of phase anytime you record with more than one microphone receiving the same sound source (ie two mics on a guitar amp, a drum set multi-mic scenario, live recordings, a stereo pair with some kinds of placement (such as recording a grand piano)). When these signals are out of phase, because each frequency is a different length and because of other factors such as resonances in the room, often one range of frequencies will be more out of phase than the other (ie high vs low). Often just throwing the phase switch would make things sound worse than better.
The IBP was designed to accommodate those problems where things were not perfectly in or out of phase. It has a dial ranging from 0 degree to 180 degree phase and a button to select high or low emphasis. When UA designed the plugin, they also added a dial to adjust delay in milliseconds; this is helpful in cases where you have two or more mics on the same sound source at different distances, not just different angles (such as a snare mic 1" away from the snare and overhead mics 36" away from the snare).

My subject is an acoustic jazz quartet all recorded in one large room simultaneously: drums, bass, piano and sax. There were issues in these tracks of bleed, of course, that were making some instruments more masked than they needed to be. EQ can help, but getting the phase and timing correct can do a lot of good without changing the EQ at all.

On the drum set, I used IBP on the snare and kick. For the snare, I adjusted the timing (by ear) to align well with the OH mics to provide the best clarity, presence and focus of the snare drum. For the kick, I adjusted it to get the best clarity, focus and low frequency extension and resonance possible. Because of this, rather than having to roll off all the lows on the OH mics, I was able to leave them in which gave both clarity and body to the kick that would be almost impossible to simulate with eq without using some sort of reverb or resonance tool on the kick. Using the IBP allowed the natural resonance to shine through.

On the bass, I adjusted the phase and timing to give best rejection of the sax and to take advantage of the bleed into the piano mics to give the bass more body and clarity.

I wouldn't want to have to mix without this plugin anymore - it's way, way too useful to give up. That said, I'd give this plugin a 4 out of 5 stars because, though the plugin is excellent, I would love to have a read out for exact times of the milliseconds delay along with the ability to see it measured in samples vs milliseconds. In DAWs other than PT you can go into controls view to see that, and in PT you can automate that control and then check the value on your edit screen, but that's a bit of a pain. I did that a couple times when I wanted to conserve UAD processor power by using digidesign sample delay in place of the IBP where possible. It may also be nice to have up to 10 milliseconds just for effect, but not necessary. Kudos to the folks at UA for a great design job on this one!

Here's some audio samples of a mix with and without the IBP compensation - flies are 48k24bit:
Cheers,
Adam

Attached Files

Bitter n IBP.wav (3.31 MB, 2354 views)

No IBP.wav (3.31 MB, 2471 views)

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search