Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
M-Audio BX8 D2

These monitors weren't even on my radar until I got a killer deal on them (directly from Avid ), so I jumped at the chance to add a set of them to the studio. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised, the sound was nice and flat and the bass response was surprisingly good. I am definitely impressed. I occasionally work in a studio that has a Blue Sky System One 2.1 system and the sound is incredibly accurate on that, especially with that 12 inch woofer but these definitely get the job done.
The kevlar 8" woofer has enough bang to get me through most of what I need to do and and the high end was clear and tight. I compared them to my JBL 4408s which is run through a Crown D-75 and noticed some things that were not apparent on the JBL's, and I love my JBL's. The only thing they are lacking is an EQ knob, but once I get used to them and break them in a bit more I doubt I'll miss it.
Highly recommended for a home or small project studio if they're in your budget (499.00 on MusiciansFriend). There might be better monitors out there, but if these are in your price range you won't be disappointed.
By mrthebob on 11th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
M-Audio BX8 D2

This is a fairly accurate monitor, and great for the mid-level studio price range. It's got both XLR and 1/4" inputs so you don't have to monkey with unbalanced to balanced conversion.

Other than that, there's not much to say. There are no real "special" features, but here is what it sports (taken directly from the site, but I agree with it all):
> Bi-amplified design with 130 watts of distributed power
> 8” low-frequency drivers with Kevlar cones
> 1-1/4” high-frequency drivers with natural silk domes and integrated waveguides
> Optimized rear ports for extended low-frequency response
XLR balanced and 1/4” balanced/unbalanced inputs

They fit the job, and they do it well. They do what a speaker should do (that is, they provide a transparent sound, and they get out of the way of the mix, with good, even sound across the board, with most frequencies).

The one possible con to them is that there is a very slight disparity in the sound between a lower and a higher volume (hence the demotion to "9"), but it's enough to worry too much about.

One thought for the beginners budget: the 5 inchers (BX5a's) may do almost as well as the 8 inchers - (for a savings of $300), but if you're serious about mixing, and you're ready for the "mid-level leagues", these are definitely the way to go.

I've had mine for a couple of months now, and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.
Last edited by mrthebob; 11th March 2012 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Additional things to say
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search