3rd March 2012

Samson S-Patch Plus by thronechild

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Samson s-patch

During my initial research for my first patchbay for a project studio I had to choose between patchbays that would require soldering and db25 cables (all of which were very expensive) and a couple that were trs hookups like this and a Neumann which were more budget. Of course there were people talking about how the budget bays would affect the sound and break faster than tt bays so I was skeptical. I am a project studio guy with some good equipment, cables, focal monitors and don't want a weak link in my chain. But I tried it.

The result was that I did get an initial Samson with a missing metal ring on one trs insert, although i dont think it would have affected sound, this was immediately replaced by front end audio at no charge (thanks) and a new fresh one was sent. This time no problems all hooked up well.

Sound quality is no different than hooking up direct, so that is a good thing. I have a b'd them and I can't hear a difference, again I'm not a pro but I think I have decent ears.

The switches are great for fast flexibility, when first setting up its easy to make a mistake with your patchbay and want to move equip around. The switches make this really fast for changing normaling which is not nearly as easy with the soldering type bays.

The two issues I have with the unit are

1. the cables used to hook it up. Individual trs cables are a mess when everything is hooked up, you will want to have snakes made for your setup just so you can still see behind your gear. Not really Samson's fault but no one else mentioned that snakes will save a lot of space, just would have been nice to know.
2. The front panel has almost no space for labeling. I am still trying to figure out how to label my ins and outs with the small space that does exist. Currently I use a separate sheet of paper with a drawing and labels.

Overall is a good piece and recommended, I have since bought a second unit!

14th April 2020

Samson S-Patch Plus by Leveuho

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Samson s-patch

These are simple, quite reliable, basic patch bays you can more or less trust. I've used two of them for the last year and I can tell you they didn't break, they interconnect everything properly, the signal flow and quality is good. This is just ok for a cheap TRS patch bay.

Their advantages are for me:
- quite reliable (so far)
- cheap
- modes are switchable through front panel, not the top or rear like some others
- good signal flow and sound quality

Their disadvantages are:
- no real space for labelling, I had to make labels above them
- these are TRS, so they are not too customizable and they'll wear out faster thant bantams/b-gauges (this is not their fault but just the design of plugs + sockets, but still - it's a disadvantage).

You may also want to take a look at a video about how I use them in my studio:

If you want to learn how to use patch bays, these are good first bays for your home or project studio. Get them!

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search