The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 ohm

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 ohm

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

3rd March 2012

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 ohm by madehumble

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I have seen other Beyerdynamic headphones reviewed so far in this section but not the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohms. So I have decided to post a review for them. I bought these headphones a few years ago from my local GC. I was skeptical at first because of the high price tag which can hover around 200.00 to 250.00. I paid around 190.00 for mine with a price match. When I received my headphones I noticed they were very well boxed, had great build and were comfortable. One of the things that I did notice after wearing them to check mixes or record was that felt cushion around the ears got dirty quickly if not taken care of. As for the sound, they have a great sound, which is very true to whatever you are monitoring, with well defined bass and highs. But be warned, these headphones seem to show every flaw in a recording which is good, but I choose not to wear them when recording because of that same reason. I think they are very good headphones.Price to performance ratio is okay, but some may feel 200.00 is high for headphones. But you get what you pay for also. Thanks.

3rd March 2012

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 ohm by VictorM

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I have a small studio garage and I got these Beyerdynamics for artist's monitoring, not for mixing. They're very sturdy, high quality, good response and comfortable headphones. Bass is warm and well defined. I find them lacking in highs but I find that pleasing because the artists don't get tired easily. I remember a bass player came by one day and he was just blown away by the sound and gave a great performace. I was tracking through a Saffire Pro 40 and nothing else so what he heard was pretty much himself, not any engineering magic. Cushions are very comfortable and don't press too much the head but still isolate fairly well, almost on par with the Sennheiser 25 HD. I tried mixing through them a couple of times but it turned out horrible, I just couldn't get the feel of the songs and I overcompensated for the lacking highs. I hate mixing with headphones, but by comparison, I can do a fairly good job with the Sennheisers.
I highly recommend them for monitoring purposes. I know they've become somewhat of a standard in more and more studios and they deserve it because of the rugged build quality and pleasing sound.

19th March 2012

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 ohm by TheJudge

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones have been one of the best recording related purchases I have made. The sound quality and the comfort affords me the opportunity to work on extended recording and mixing sessions without too much ear fatigue. When I compare the sound I hear in the headphones with the sound coming from my nearfield monitors (Alesis M1 Active and KRK Rokit 5) the sound is very similar and gives me enough confidence to trust what I am hearing through the cans.

The materials used are a mixture of metal and plastic, and some of the plastic components have begun to show wear and tear after about 3 to 4 years of use. Also, because my skin tends to be oily, the fabric covers soak up the oil on my skin and need to be removed and washed periodically.

If I had to replace these headphones I would not hesitate to purchase another set of Beyerdynamic cans because the DT 770 Pros have worked extremely well for me. The tell tale sign that I have a good set of cans is when my clients have no complaints about the frequency spectrum of the mixes I have done solely on using the headphones.

28th August 2013

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 ohm by dans595

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

My headphone equipment before the DT-770's consisted of Galaxy S3 earbuds and Sennheiser headphones in the $50-$100 range. To me, the Galaxy S3's earbuds had better bass response than the Sennheisers, which made me skeptical as to whether I get a pair of cans that satisfied me more than the buds. Fortunately, the DT-770's delivered.

First impressions: The cans themselves are large, which pleases you even before you put them on. They just look professional. The one thing that struck me as strange was the material on the earpads: where I expected a leather or synthetic surface, I found instead a fuzzy, felt-like surface.

Comfort: The largeness isn't just for looks. The inner radius of the ear pads are wide enough to fit around most ears, which makes for a more comfortable wearing experience. My head is quite large, but I still found the grip to be tolerable for long periods of time. The felt-ish material of the ear pads really pays off here.

Performance: By my standards, the sound quality is excellent, far exceeding any of my previous headphone/earbud experiences. Plenty of bass response for my tastes, but not exactly hyped like in the S3 earbuds. I enjoyed the sound so much I went back and listened to a lot of my favorite albums through them just to hear what they sounded like. The sound isolation is good enough for tracking delicate vocals - as long as you turn the volume low enough.

The nominal impedance on the pair I purchased is 80ohms. I found the volume satisfactory from an iPod, the computer's built in sound card, or my RME Babyface ("notoriously low volume headphone amp," which, through these 80ohm cans still is uncomfortably loud (for me)).

Conclusion: I highly recommend these headphones to anybody. I'm very happy with the purchase and can't find anything to fault them.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search