The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pearlman TM-1 Condensor Mic

Pearlman Microphones TM 1

4.4 4.4 out of 5, based on 5 Reviews

3rd March 2012

Pearlman Microphones TM 1 by Bill Hambone

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

The Pearlman TM-1 is a handmade, Neumann U47 style large diaphragm tube condenser. It uses a NOS EF80 metal tube, which is supposedly identical to the tube found in vintage U47s. For price and performance, this is my absolute favorite microphone. Literally everything I've recorded with this mic sounds wonderful. Vocals especially shine. This mic sounds great no matter what preamp you plug it into. Every engineer I've loaned this mic to has had a hard time giving it back! I have not heard an original U47, but I did shoot the TM-1 out against a vintage Neumann M50. Two different beasts to be sure, but I liked the Pearlman better. The only microphone that I have used that I might prefer to the TM-1 is the Brauner Valvet. However, you could buy a brand new pair of TM-1s for the price of one Brauner. Whenever someone asks me if they should get a Neumann U87 or some other overpriced/overhyped mic, I tell them "NO! Get a Pearlman!"

Dave Pearlman is a really nice guy as well. When my shockmount started falling apart, he sent me new elastics the next day, free of charge. It's nice to be able to call the guy who built your mic on the phone!

3rd March 2012

Pearlman Microphones TM 1 by mikeg09

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

The Pearlman tm-1 is only the second microphone that I have ever bought and I would have to say that it was a very good investment. When I first got the microphone and pulled it out of the case that it came in, I was amazed at how well built and solid it was. I received the newer models that are painted with a beautiful baby blue color with Dave Pearlman’s initials embedded on the front of it. When I held the microphone in my hand for the first time it made me feel like I finally had a real piece of studio gear of some real value! I mean it literally made me feel like one of the big boys just by holding it in my hand because it has a nice solid weight to it! It definitely made me want to be a lot more careful with it and not mess around.
When I first plugged it in I was still learning the basics about engineering so it wasn’t until a year and a half later that I started to really hear and appreciate the characteristics of the tm-1. This microphone sounds wonderful as many of you may have already heard. To me, the sound of it is lush and open at the same time and also has nice forward mids. If you are somebody who is mixing completely ITB, this microphone introduces nice warmth and tone to your vocals so they wont sound thin and boring. I only use this microphone for vocals but I love the color that is has. It definitely has vintage characteristics to it while still maintaining that modern sound as well.
On the microphone there are two switches… One of them is a high-cut filter and the other one is a cardioid and omni selectable pattern switch. The high-cut filter switch is nice to have for background vocals and instruments or if your just want to have an overall vintage type of sound! Overall I love the Pearlman tm-1 and would recommend it to anyone who wants a very good tube microphone and doesn’t want to spend $3000+.
Dave Pearlman is a really nice guy, just give him a call and he will gladly answer any questions you have! I have to go now and finish recording vocals to a new song Im working on

5th October 2012

Pearlman Microphones TM 1 by John Eppstein

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

The only reason that I gave this mic a 9 on sound is that it isn't QUITE a real U-47 - but it's darn close and costs a hell of a lot less. Understand, when I say "affordable" I don't mean cheap - street price is around $1600. But compared to what a real 47 goes for, that's cheap. And it really sounds beautiful, very close to the real thing. It's a much "rounder" sounding mic that my vintage U-87 as befits a mic styled after the 47, and as such it shines where the 87's presence peak might exaggerate unwanted characteristics of the signal such as sibilance.

Hand made in USA M7 style capsule. 2 patterns, cardiod and omni. Bass rolloff switch. EF-80 tube. Sturdy, well made shock mount.

If you don't have 15 or 20 grand for a real U-47 you should check out this mic.

14th March 2013

Pearlman Microphones TM 1 by wnlively

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I would have to say that the Pealman tm-1 is a Phenomenal sounding mic.
5 stars on sound!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mic that i recived was not packed very well for shipping from califonia to florida.(most mics at this price are double boxed with extra packing)
The Mic was packed in a single box with little or no packing, leaving the mic case to protect the mic.

The Mic case is cheap an is not desinged to fit the mic or its accessories.
During shipping the power supply bounced around in the case damaging the
inside of the case.
Also the mic that I recived was scratched.

Most mics in this price range have a wooden jewel case . the Pearl man comes with a zipper pouch.

As much as i wanted to love this mic the overall " Home made" look and feel of the mic along with the damage in shipping were the reasons i returnend it

Dave pearl man did send me an email asking if there was any thing that he could do to resolve any problems.

I purchased the mic from Vintage King, but it was shipped from Pearlman.

Both Pearlman and vintage king were very professinal and promt in resolving
the problems by providing me an Return Authozation

thanks

wnlively

26th September 2017

Pearlman Microphones TM 1 by jditmer0

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

I read reviews that it is a great mic for a baritone male vocalists (which is what I am) so I bought one. It did not meet my expectations AT ALL! It is not bright in any way shape or form on the high end (which you would think would be a good thing for a baritone vocalist but without some kind of brightness in the high end you won't have any vocal presence and your ear won't be able to find it in the mix). If you're thinking o...just slap some wacky creatively shaped EQ on it while boosting the high end! Well that didn't work because when you boost the high end you start to realize how crappy it picked up those frequencies and they sound like crap. My bad experience COULD have something to do with the fact that the person who makes the mics makes each one from scratch which means each mic will NOT be exactly the same. I'll never know now cuz i'm not buying another

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Pearlman TM-1 Condensor Mic
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search