The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee One

Apogee Electronics One for iPad & Mac

3.6 3.6 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

A pocket sized interface that is perfect for travel and demo production.

2nd December 2011

Apogee Electronics One for iPad & Mac by highriser

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Apogee One

The Apogee ONE is quite possibly the best interface for the price you pay. Since most interfaces at that price range are almost all the same, the apogee one stands out for its quality and the fact that is has an outstanding microphone.
Forget about everything you know about internal mics. This microphone has amazing frequency response and clarity even for vocals. The Apogee website has demonstrations of all the different applications of the ONE with the internal mic. The quality will surprise you.
The interface is very minimalistic in its design there is one knob in the middle that controls the microphone levels and the output levels. You can also use your favorite microphone instead of the internal mic. There is an external cable for XLR- to connect you microphone, and guitar input to connect your guitar. It is a USB-powered interface.
Some of the cons are that the build quality is not the best; it doesn’t seem to be the most durable unit in the world. The USB cable that comes standard is quite short which would make it hard to use as a mc and plug into a desktop computer. It is only compatible with Mac computers. The accessories are really expensive $20 for the stand holder, and without it, it is hard to record with the internal mic.
But overall this is an amazing interface for those who are starting out and don’t need to record a whole band at once. If you like to have an easy, high-quality, all-in-one package take a good look at the ONE.

3rd March 2012

Apogee Electronics One for iPad & Mac by theronaldchase

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
Apogee One

Features:
Single channel input using one of the following three options:
Internal condenser microphone
Balanced XLR microphone preamp input with +10 to 63dB of gain
Unbalanced ¼" high impedance instrument input, 0 to 45 dB of gain
Software selectable 48V phantom power
Line-level, ?" stereo output for headphones or unbalanced powered monitors
A/D and D/A conversion @ 44.1/48kHz, 24-bit
Multi-function encoder knob for input gain control and output level control
4 encoder function LED indicators
3 segment LED input and output metering
Apogee's Maestro software for advanced control and low latency mixing
Compatible with any Core Audio compliant audio application
Compatible Software:
GarageBand
Logic Pro
Soundtrack Pro
Ableton Live
Cubase & Nuendo
Digital Performer

Over all, this little thing is not bad. I definitely wouldn't use it on large projects but for a solo gig it is not bad at all. Sound quality is great for the price. Ease of use it just plug and play. Complaints as far as features go is the lack of a line in, but then again, I only use this for demo work.I also keep hearing of peoples break out cables shorting out and other faulty cable problems but that has not been an issue for me. If you are careful enough with it and aren't throwing it against brick walls you should be fine. Bang for your buck, if you want something cheap that you can get great mono recordings or demo work out of, you can't do better than this thing.

No matter what I do to upgrade my studio equipment, my ONE is going to stay with me for those times when I'm away from my main set up and get the urge to lay down some demos. Which, does happen fairly often.

3rd March 2012

Apogee Electronics One for iPad & Mac by Coby C

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.75
Apogee One

I tried going from the DUET to the One and it just didn't fly for "one" very simple reason - the single output on this device is an 1/8th output jack! . . . I guess I could have seen this in the pictures or specs but I missed it.

I purchased the one because I was doing most of my recording in the studio through a different interface and thought I'd get the One for playing live and for the offhand chance I might need a pre. . . But there is just no way I can feel comfortable on a stage with an 1/8th output . . . unless I absolutely had to . . . I don't even feel comfortable in the studio with it . . . One false move where it gets tangled on a shoe or chair leg and the jack is finished. . .

Even a 1/4 headphone jack with a splitter or an 1/8th jack plus a pair of stereo 1/4" jacks would have done the job . . . But the same output I have on my macbook? No, not going to fly.

I get it; They want to incentivize the more expensive DUET purchase, but long story short if you are trying to do anything "professional" and using it frequently I'd absolutely go with the DUET - it's the bomb!

19th March 2012

Apogee Electronics One for iPad & Mac by kedavis

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
Apogee One

First, I have an Ensemble so I have a point of reference. While I wouldn't say the Apogee One is 1 channel of the Ensemble, I would say it's very good product and a steal at it's price point. The internal mic is very good. It blows away the built in mic on the Macbook Pro. On it's own I wouldn't use it for a vocal, but in the context of a mix, it's not bad and very usable. I say it would give you a great demo. Now the mic preamp is about 85%-90% of the Ensemble's and it's excellent!!! I connected my U87 to it and didn't even think about an external pre. The A/D and D/A converters are good too. I really like it. The build is different from the Duet, it's plastic, but I personally don't find it flimsy. I would say use it normally, but don't treat it as a rugged piece because it isn't. For it's price point, I think it's an outstanding piece.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Apogee One
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search