The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Novation Nocturn

Novation Nocturn

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

USB MIDI Controller with AutoMap

1st March 2012

Novation Nocturn by facloud

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Novation Nocturn

The Novation Nocuturn was a perfect answer for what I needed. I originally had a Digidesign Command 8 for mixing but found I wasn't using half the options on it... just a single fader for automation and the knobs to adjust parameters on various plugins. I sold it, recouped most of my money and bought a Presonus Faderport which worked great as a transport control and fader but missed the rotary control ability of the Command 8 for plugin control... so I found the Nocturn after a little research on the internet and it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

The automap feature makes it extremely easy to use right off the start, although it wasn't working properly with the provided software but after downloading the latest driver from the Novation website it worked perfectly. All the parameters are very easy to customize, with the press of the learn button and a click with the mouse on the desired plugin parameter. Save it, done! The knobs are fairly intuitive, a little too sensitive on some, but easily adaptable and great for changing EQ/Compression/delay parameters on the fly without having to use the mouse. It feels fairly cheap, but after two weeks of use have had no problems and can't beat the value for a hundred bucks! I recommend it to anyone who needs a USB controller for their plugins.

13th March 2012

Novation Nocturn by Wesma

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Novation Nocturn

I bought the Novation Nocturn on a whim about a month ago – the price was so low that I thought it couldn’t hurt to try it out. I am glad I did because this little plastic “toy” is actually a great tool for my setup.
I did have some troubles at first with the software but after some reinstallations and a few mails to the support at Novation I finally got it to work like I want it to – or close enough at least.

I use a lot of UAD plug-ins and the Nocturn really makes it so much easier and funnier to work with them. It is also a great relief for my hand to not use the mouse for everything.
It is very easy to customize the controls of the Nocturn to fit your own way of working. It takes some time to do this when you have a lot of plug-ins but it is totally worth it and actually necessary IMO to fully take advantage of this great tool.
The device doesn’t actually feel as cheap as it looks. The touch-sensitive knobs feels great to work with and with the possibility to tweak the range of the parameters you can really get surgical with plugins when needed. It’s so much better than using a mouse – especially because now you can tweak several parameters at once. You also get closer to the feeling of working with hardware processors.
With some plug-ins, like the UAD Cambridge EQ for example, it can get a little messy because there are so many controls that it’s hard to keep track of them. It is then a good idea to use the Nocturn in conjunction with the mouse. Although a good feature in the software is that when you touch one knob a popup window tells you what that knob is assigned to.

In short, very good value for the money!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Novation Nocturn
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search