The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empirical Labs Lil FrEQ

Empirical Labs Lil FrEQ

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

As clean an EQ as EQ gets.

29th February 2012

Empirical Labs Lil FrEQ by travisbrown

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Empirical Labs Lil FrEQ

After eyeing one of these for a while, I finally pulled the trigger. I'd been looking for a go-to EQ for tracking and to pair with a Slate Dragon. The Lil FrEQ proved to be not only a stellar EQ for both general tone shaping and surgical use, but an excellent deesser, HF limiter, transformer coupled DI and general level matcher.

Built to the same excellent EL standards as one finds with the Fatso and Distressor, the Lil FrEQ has pretty much as many features and controls crammed onto the front of the unit as possible.

- HP filter for Frequencies below 270hz
- High and low shelving
- 4 band paraEQ
- HF dynamics that can be pre or post, which is particularly useful if you don't want the HF you are adding to activate the dynamic control. i.e. you want to add sheen to normalized HF content

Awesome uses:

- Bass DI using the impedance matched front-face 1/4 input and XFRMR coupled output.
- Vocal shaping, and effective deessing.
- Killing that god-awful piezo quack from live acoustic guitars.
- Turning that kick drum into something closer to that kick drum that you should have actually tracked in the first place.
- scooping out all that snare tubbiness and resonance.

Maybe less-than awesome things:

- You may be inclined to think the front is much too cluttered. However, the overlapping
- The 1/4" out on the back is unbalanced, so make sure you have a, XLR
- you'd have to shell out another $1900 for another unit for a stereo pair.
- If you were inclined to use it for mix buss, detented controls would be nice, but you might also be giving up that super precise control that the Lil FrEQ is so good at.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Empirical Labs Lil FrEQ
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search