The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BeesNeez OLIVER - K47C style tube mic

Beesneez Microphones Oliver

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

A $1000 - U47 inspired mic with lots of textured personality.

29th February 2012

Beesneez Microphones Oliver by beju

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

I finally received it and I'm rather positive about it !

First, it's a nice piece of army green metal, and the big logo is cool, it cames in a yellow shock/water proof case ; the AC power cable was missing but maybe it's normal as they ship internationally ??? by comparison, the power transformer seems a bit cheap with its plastic facade, but eh, that's their entry level mic, and btw, let's hear this mic...

About the sound : as expected and said in other reviews, it's all about the mediums, and it complement very well my other new mic (a ribbon AEA r84) which is very smooth by comparison. So a new kind of sound, that fit well with my voice : it add a kind of grainy texture to it that make me sound like a virile tenor ; actually, it's a mic with a lot of texture ; when people talk about harshness about it, maybe it's more texture, 'hardness', but warm at the same time ; because of that, it gives a vintage/retro vibe as well... also, if you want, you can sing very near from the mic because the proximity effect is not big at all ; a bit like this blueberry blue mic I tried; and by singing very near, you can get a pleasant distortion on your voice that bring you back to the 60's ; for this reason, hipass filter was never used with it .

I tried it with the preamp of my apogee ensemble as well with a studer 169 ; good warm results with both ; still need to test with a la610. the audio extracts they put in a post on this forum are actually pretty faithful to the kind of sound to expect. very nice on the upright piano and acoustic guitar too. very upfront sound I would say, lot of character, definitely not a transparent mic : you need to be into that kind of vintage sound to appreciate it, also it seems a rather forgiving mic, that will give good results by compensate your bad engineer skills with it's textured personality...

11th October 2017

Beesneez Microphones Oliver by alexevans917

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I'm honestly surprised by how little conversation there is about this microphone. I've been shopping around for a 47ish tube microphone for a while and happened upon a lightly used Oliver Cardioid on eBay. I picked it up for about $320 shipped (US dollars, not AU dollars). It sounds incredible - big midrange, silky smooth, some nice edge when it's pushed... it's really beautiful sounding. Particularly considering the price, I'm likely to buy another. This mic is a slam dunk for my voice (SM7b is great too, C12 type circuits not so much). It sounds great on acoustic guitar when you're looking for a thicker retro sound but not a ribbon sound. It's killer on drums, nice on guitar amps, but I think it'll live on vocals for much of the time. This and a CAPI V26 is one heck of a vocal rig for well less than $1000. I can't imagine a more cost effective microphone in this vein for this price. I'm officially a Beesneez fan.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... BeesNeez OLIVER - K47C style tube mic
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search