The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thomson M151

Thomson M151

3 3 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Absolutely useless dynamic, even for the price.

29th February 2012

Thomson M151 by maticomp

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Thomson M151

Do. Not. Buy. This. Period.

I had a non-pleasure of working with a dynamic mic made by Thomson my friend owned, when he aksed me to help him with some voice-over work at his place for a commercial presentation. I rarely do that kind of stuff, but why not help a friend?

I asked him what he had, in turn having to work with E-MU 0202 and Thomson M151 mic. Whereas I know that E-MU preamps are not really good, I also know it is possible to get some decent sound of them. Therefore the weakest link must have been Thomson M151 and it was.

M151 is a dynamic microphone in a 20EUR mark price range. The entry level targeting of this mic can be easily seen by a plastic housing, ominous lightness and overall cheap feel to it. I am not put off by things like that, having owned and used lots of cheap gear that performed well. Unfortunately, this mic doesn't.

Thomson seems not to care about this mic, as Google returns lot of results from other sites, such as Pixmania and Amazon, none related to audio per se. It seems that M151 is an omni-directional pattern microphone, which seems to be backed up with my observations after short use. The manufacturer claims 70 – 13.000 Hz response range, which I absolutely deny - the low-end fall off is at much higher point than 70Hz, as is the high end fall off. The mid-range is honky and unpleasent.

Perhaps the only good point about this mic is the fact that it is quite loud, giving reasonable output even with preamps with little gain.

I can't imagine using this microphone for anything more than Skype and I can't recommend it for anyone, considering the fact, that for few euros more you can get quite an acceptable Behringer mics. Entry-level, but acceptable. This one is definitely not.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Thomson M151
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search