28th February 2012

PreSonus Firepod by enginefire

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Presonus Firepod

The Presonus Firepod is an 8 x 8 analog in and out interface, which also has 2 digital ins and outs on SPDIF. It features 8 mic preamps that are passable (much better sound quality than M-audio mic pres from my experience), and also has 8 balanced analogue outputs. With one unit, you are able to get 24bit 96K performance. Multiple units can be daisy chained together, but the sample rate then drops to a maximum of 48k. Presonus does not advertise this, so be ware! if you are looking to mix out of the box and get 2 or 3 of these, the quality will be lower than if you go with something more expensive. That being said, you can get 3 of these used (24 analogue ins and outs) for less than one 8 channel unit that does 96k or 192k. quantity over quality i guess, depends on your budget and needs.

there are also two instrument DIs on channels one and two, and an analogue send and return on the same channels. there is also a stereo out and a headphone jack.

It also has a MIDI in and out and this works well as it should.

a word of caution about this product, as well as presonus in general: these units are very tricky to daisy chain together, due to firmware issues. as a stand alone all is good, but once you start getting multiple units, it gets really sketchy really fast. Presonus Tech Support is WORTHLESS if you are not the original owner, they are more interested in forcing your hand to buy their current line new than to ensure that their product works well to their own specifications. They went to the point of removing the newest firmware to upgrade older firepods to FP10s from their website, so that different generations of the same product could work together.

after hours using internet time machine, I was able to download old firmwares and ended up downgrading the FP10 to the firepod firmware in order to get 2 of these to work together. They still will not daisychain, I have them connected to separate firewire ports. SO, buyer beware it can be a real hassle.

once all the technical issues were sorted, I have to say that I am pleased with their functionality and performance. they have not failed me yet!

28th February 2012

PreSonus Firepod by estebanco

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Presonus Firepod

The Presonus Firepod is a great starting point into the world of digital recording. This was my first interface, and it helped me make some recordings I was really happy with (I used both the original Firepod and the FP10 and my exprience was exactly the same with both). The first unit I got used for CHEAP and I was really happy with my purchase. Huge bang for your buck, especially if you're just starting or recording as a hobbyist or for just making demos.

8 channels gives you enough to record quality multitrack drums with close mics and room mics. I never found it short on gain, though I never used a ribbon with it. Never had any problems with noise levels. The preamps are clean and neutral and the conversion is OK. I used the DI for bass with really good results.

Another reviewer posted about problems with daisy chaining... I never daisy chained two together, but I remember linking it with a Duet as an aggregate device in Logic with no problems. Integration was super easy with both my iMac, and then later with my MacBook Pro.

I've upgraded to a Fireface 800 and while I'm glad I did, I would still be happy and confident using the Firepod. For $200 bucks for 8 channels, it's kinda hard to go wrong.