The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
T Bone HD-990D Headphones

The t.bone HD 990D

3.75 3.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A great price point currently at around £25/€29/$29 but do they cut it in the studio?

28th February 2012

The t.bone HD 990D by AllAboutDrumming

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
T Bone HD-990D Headphones

The T Bone HD-990D Headphones

Setting up headphone monitoring on a budget with percussionists in mind is not an easy task! Lets be honest here, being a drummer myself I am the first to admit that drummers can be heavy handed and use the phrase "more in my headphones" repeatedly. Clarity comes third place behind volume and sound insulation properties; In my case it came fourth behind price point.

First Impressions

The HD-990's are of relatively rugged construction that are basically ear defenders with mounted speakers. They don't look cheap and nasty and the only weak points I can see that are the head strap adjusters.

Specs

Closed back dynamic headphones with a stated frequency response of 10-20.000 Hz. They provide a healthy 22 dBA of isolation from ambient noise and have a 1.4 m long coiled cable with a 3,5mm plug, that comes with a 6.3 mm screwable jack plug attached.

In the studio

Used both with West African percussionists and with drum kit, the HD-990's certainly had enough power (coming out of the behringer amp800). They proved to have good power handling and did not distort when turned up to higher volumes. They were excellent at isolating the noise both form external sources and from themselves to nearby mics.

The HD-990's were comfortable, maybe more so that my more expensive BD DT150's that tend to put a lot of concentrated weight on the top of your head with the slim head strap. However, the ears are a little tight, not a bad thing when you want to isolate noise but could be a problem if used for prolonged periods.

The headphones have a very mid heavy EQ response with some fairly harsh peaks between 2 and 3khz and big cuts above 3khz. This should not be a problem for their intended purpose of rehearsal and studio tracking but in regards of sound quality, they would not by any stretch of the imagination be suitable for mixing or monitoring live sound.

Conclusion

They are perfect for rehearsal and studio tracking, with percussionists and other musicians dealing with high levels of ambient noise. The HD-990's do so at an unmatched price point for the isolation and build quality.