The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM48

Shure SM48

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Versatile vocal mic with no impedance matching transformer inside. Not really a younger brother of SM58, but quite a different animal.

26th February 2012

Shure SM48 by maticomp

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Shure SM48

Shure SM48 is not entirely a cheaper, younger brother of a legendary SM58 model, even though the numbers would indicate that. It is often described that way, but these microphones are different animals and tend to sound different. There are cases in which SM48 can prove itself to me more suitable and flattering for certain types of voices.

Just like SM58, the SM48 is built like a tank. It's sturdy, made from a durable alloy with built-in shock mount cage for additional ruggedness. Also available as SM48S with on/off switch. This mic surely resists heavy use both on stage and in the studio and I can say only good words about the build quality.

It's pickup pattern is unidirectional cardioid, with declared 55-14000Hz frequency response. Similar to SM58, but there is a difference. The SM48 has no impedance matching transformer inside, which makes the mic sound different. The highs are more pronounced, there is slightly less of a proximity effect, also the mid-range tends to sound a bit different and less, let's say, upfront.

There is one drawback to the lack of a transformer though - this mic is quiet. SM58 has never been a loud beast, and SM48 is even quieter. Without a decent preamp with a plenty of gain, or a powerful voice, it won't shine. When amplified properly it is however a very versatile mic both for sung vocals and spoken word.

I wouldn't classify the SM48 just as a cheaper alternative to SM58 if one is on budget - and I honestly recommend taking a look at this microphone to anyone looking for a vocal dynamic mics! Bear in mind it's a 100$ mic though, don't expect a huge WOW factor with it. It just sometimes fits just right in place, and considering its cost, may be worth having in a drawer.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Shure SM48
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search