The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Micro Moog

Moog Music Micromoog

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Despite its modest size and single oscillator, this analog classic very much lives up to Moog's stellar reputation.

26th February 2012

Moog Music Micromoog by suburbanbeat

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Micro Moog

I first purchased my Micro Moog back in 2003. I had aspired to owning a Moog synthesizer for some time, but didn't have the budget for a Mini. At that point, it was a toss-up between the Prodigy and the Micro, which I knew much less about. However, a killer deal fell into my lap and I took my first plunge into the world of analog synthesizers.

I was both excited and reluctant when the package showed up at my door. Would Moog's littlest sister make all of my analog dreams come true? With the press of the first key, it already had. The classic, screaming lead was everything I had ever wanted in a vintage synth. It sounded so full of life that I was sure I could convince any non-expert that they were hearing a Mini Moog or some other synth worth triple the price.

The distinctive feature that gives the Micro an ability to roll with the big kids is its "doubling" - mixing in the same sound at either a higher or lower octave with a variable knob. Amazing. Even though this might only have one oscillator, you can easily get this sounding like it has the biggest two oscillators you've ever heard with this feature.

ALMOST everything else you need is here - classic Moog filter (same that's used in all of their other gear), waveform selector (with all of the standards, plus some unusual ones), variable frequency adjustment, noise generator, envelopes, an incredible modulation section, portamento, and so much more.

The filter obviously sounds as good as a filter can. That's standard with any Moog. The real treat with this synth, however, is its incredible modulation capabilities. It would take a small novel to describe all of the possibilities, but let it suffice to say that it's as versatile as can be on this level of synth. In fact, it's even more versatile than the Mini Moog's capabilities. That's because the modulation signal can originate from any one of several sources and then routed to an even greater number of places. All of that can then be manipulated with a rate knob, which ranges from really, really slow to really, really fast.

The only real weaknesses of this synth are the crappy ribbon controller that rarely works, and not being able to get a hard sync sound because of the single oscillator. The keyboard is also really crappy, but I've heard of a lot of people making adjustments to make theirs have better action. Otherwise, this is as versatile as this kind of synth can get. The basses are huge and the leads are clean. My favorite piece of gear.

4 weeks ago

Moog Music Micromoog by freddan

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Micro Moog

Its a lovely synth capable of a lot of diffrent sounds.
Dont get fooled about the fact that its a singel occilator synt.
You can dubble the sound and it have also a sub occilator.
The routing possebilitis is almost endless and it is unik in many ways.
I like it more than my Moog Prodigy and it is more flexible.
If you are able to get one you will be happy about how it sound for sure.
No modern synth sounds like the Micro Moog.

A nice video with After the fire playing the Micro Moog!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCbr7yALbXw

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search