The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Designs REDDI Tube Direct Box (DI)

A-Designs REDDI

4.6 4.6 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Highly colored tube DI with a retro sound. Beautiful sound, not so beautiful price tag. Nothing out there sounds like it. SOUND CLIPS INSIDE!

25th February 2012

A-Designs REDDI by limit6

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The REDDI is a highly colored tube DI box with a little extra zing in the upper mids. At $700 it's among the more expensive DIs, but you get what you pay for.

My first impressions when opening my new REDDI up was that it was packaged well, and that the DI itself is indestructible. The metal housing was engineered to be idiot-proof with a protruding front lip that protects the entire faceplate - for when, said "loving owner", drops his/her very expensive toy. After two years my REDDI and I have yet to encounter any problems (except for that one time when I initially tried to plug it into the input of a mic pre. The output on this DI is hot, and works best when fed into a line-level input).

Ok, ok. The sound… it's harmonically rich (as you'd expect from tubes), slightly warm, with nice compression, and just enough clarity. Anything you plug into will be imparted with the REDDI's color, which is hard to put into words. Let me try. Big sounding? There are two giant transformers in it, and single tube. Below are two clips of a P bass with flats, and a Stingray run with flat eq. Plug and play, raw tracks usually don't require much eq or compression. Basses shine, as do Rhodes pianos, synths, and I especially like electric guitar layering with it (go figure).

The two samples bellow where cut straight into the REDDI>Vintech 273 at very low gain>BLA signature 002

Stingray

P Bass

16th March 2014

A-Designs REDDI by Masecar

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

Admittedly I'm not the world's most experienced DI user, but I've used most of the big names; Avalon U5, Aguilar DB900, Countryman, Radial, and API 512, to name a few. Until I got my Reddi, the Aguilar was my favorite for its fat, yet clear sound; the Reddi blows it out of the water. It's fatter and clearer than the Aguilar and has more character than the Avalon. Simply put, it sounds huge.

With the output level control, it's possible to run the Reddi through your favorite mic preamp or any line-level source. I tend to run it into a very light compressor or straight my converters and I have yet to find a need for any EQ at all; it puts the bass track right where I want it to be.

It's pretty expensive, but for the sound it produces, it's worth it.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search