The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Technica 4047SV condenser microphone

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV

4.35 4.35 out of 5, based on 6 Reviews

AT's take on the vintage sound, cleanly done

2nd December 2011

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by jjboogie

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

The Audio-Technica AT4047/SV is an extremely versatile cardioid condenser microphone. It's one I feel is often overlooked and under rated for its price range. It is warm, detailed and can handle high SPL's unlike some other well known popular mics I've used. This mic has a vintage character to it that I really like and a very wide dynamic range. From acoustic and electric guitars to drum over heads to congas to female and male vocals this mic covers it all. I've often recorded the same speaker cab with two mics and sent the tracks to the producer and have him decide which one they like best. So far it's been the AT 4047 every time. With the high pass filter engaged knocking out 80hz and below I've often had female vocalists come in and track their lead and background parts and later need hardly any eq at all to fit in the mix. You can also use them in an X/Y pattern for choir vocals as well getting a very nice stereo image that easily picks up all voices crystal clear. This mic is a must have tool in your studio even if you have U87's and other high dollar mics. It surprisingly competes with them all.

2nd December 2011

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by rack gear

got one of these in 1999 I think... AT kinda billed it as their take on the U47... which is a reach for the price really... BUT the mic really delivers as my goto LDC. Sure, there are better mics for thousands more, but this one is just really sweet, and get's a lot of use on a wide range of sources from acoustic guitar to vocals. To me, this is the "song writers" mic. It covers a lot of ground. I don't know that I'd throw it in front of a guitar cab, but I think few would do that with a U47 too.

6th December 2011

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by triton92

Hello, I had this mic for about 1yr and then sold it here on GS cause i was short on cash, (I regret it big time) The sound of this bad boy is so freakin incredible for the price, it has a very "vintage" sound to it! for vocals it is amazing (no better mic in it's price range for sure "I think", this mic has this detail in the mids that no other mic in it's price range has. I also used it for Bajo sexto (12 string guitar) and Accordion and it excelled beautifully bringing out the true sound of the instruments. I really recommend this mic to any studio, and trust me you will find yourself using it a lot specially for vox, I am saving $$ to buy it again cause it's that good!!! the people at Audio Technica really did a hella of a job with this one.

15th December 2011

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by gehauser

I have had the at4047 for 3 years. It is the only mic with transformer-coupled output in the AT 40xx series, and the transformer gives it a bit of a smooth and powerful character relative to the other 40xx mics. I like its high sensitivity (17.7mV/Pa) and low self-noise (9 db).

It gets the most use here for recording vocals, male and female. It wins its share of vocal shootouts against sm7b, mk220, and nt-1a, but I have not compared it to any high-end mics. The at4047 has a bit of a smiley face frequency response, and the mids can sound slightly scooped, in my opinion. It is nearly perfect for many male voices with minimal need for EQ. For female voices, the 6K hz peak can be a bit too loud, so I usually EQ that down. By contrast, the mk220 has an equivalent dip at 6K hz, so the at4047 and mk220 complement each other nicely as different tools in that respect. The at4047 highs are strong but very smooth, so sibilance is not really a problem.

I think it sounds a bit plasticky on acoustic guitar, but I tend to prefer the sounds of SDCs on acoustic instruments. Where it really shines is on male vocals, placed at about 6 to 9 inches distance. It is quite nice on soft female voices, as its smoothness brings out pleasant articulation details on these singers, but it is harder to work with on a powerful, belting female singer.

The mic is well-built and its shockmount works well. The mount is quite large, but it has no protruding spires, so that’s nice. The pad and rolloff switches are nicely recessed.

18th December 2011

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by adathead 53

The AT4047 is hands down my favorite mic I've ever used for vocals. First time I heard my voice through it I was hooked for life. It has a uniquely rich character that,while I really appreciate it, isn't for everyone. Very smooth in the mids with a very slight loss in detail. This mic can really tame nasal tones and sibilance. So much that I had to actually push some of the characteristics of my voice that I'd spent years learning to tame on my own. I love the sound of this mic,but the thing is it actually has a very noticable sound. If you've got a great source that you just want to capture as accurately as possible then this probably isn't the mic for you.Something like a KSM32 would be a much better choice there.

The mic itself is very easy to use. The HPF and pad switches work very smoothly. It's pretty easy to find the sweet spot. The only downside is that AT makes what must be one of the world's worst shockmounts. Very awkward compared to most others I've used. Not really a major problem though once you get used to it.

What can you say about features?HPF,pad,the case is adequate although a fitted flight case to hold the mic and shockmount would be a big plus. That's about it.

I was lucky enough to find mine in a local pawn shop (in the case,no shockmount) for $225. But, even if I'd bought it new for full price, I'd still say it was worth it. I believe this mic is destined to be a classic.

23rd February 2012

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by edva

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Audio Technica's 4047SV is a single pattern (cardioid), large diaphragm condenser, made in Japan, designed primarily for recording vocals, although it can be used wherever a quality LDC would normally be appropriate. The mic shares the familial appearance of most AT mics, and the fine build quality. It comes with a very nicely designed shockmount, in the same brushed silver finish as the mic. The mic has both an 80 Hz hi-pass filter switch, and another for the 10db pad. With the pad in, the mic is rated for 159db! The self noise is rated as an admirably low 9db.
I am a big fan of the 4047, and use one frequently. It can work on some vocals, particularly the "crooner" style, but is a little too dark for most modern styles. It also has a small but noticeable high frequency peak that can hit the sibilant zone with some singers. When the mic matches the source though, it's like butter.
It's also a great mic to put up as an "alternative" choice on many sources (drums, guitar cab, upright bass, etc.) because it will often sound better than the primary choice. The mic has a very beefy, warm signature, with a very well controlled, almost "soft" top end, but always sounds "real" and present. AT did a good job with the components in this mic, including the transformer, which no doubt adds to the warm tone. A modern take on a vintage U47 FET was AT's intention, and their result, with the 4047.
Because of the low-mid character of the 4047, it can be a bit of "overkill" on an already very warm source, or inappropriate on a source that doesn't feature that area of the spectrum, or on something that wants to "sparkle". However, it is a very nice mic that will bring something useable to the mix more often than not. A bit pricey amongst its AT brethren, but you do get value for the money.

23rd February 2012

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by Magpel

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4

The Audio Technica 4047 was a critical vocal mic in a full-length CD my band recorded recently. We used other vocal mics on the CD as well: a Mojave MA200, a Shure SM7B, A Rode of some flavor I have conveniently forgotten, and my own ADK TT with the Custom Shop 67 replacement capsule.

As you probably already know, The AT 4047 is a delicious microphone ( I can't seem to steer clear of food/taste metaphors when describing it, which is always how I responded to pieces that sound syrupy), on the dark and full side, a natural fit for male vocals and often a good choice for females, depending on the voice. The female vocalist in our band, for some reason, is more flattered by highly focused, somewhat bright mics. Seems counter intuitive to me, as I always think you match by opposites -- bright mic to dark source, etc. But maybe this is why I am a player and not a professional engineer.

It is the odd one in the AT line, for sure. I could say I wish it had more features, especially patterns, but I think it should be kept what it is, a well known entity, a special flavor at a good price, kind of like an SM7B in that regard, actually. We DID try it as third mic in a guitar cab arrangement. In our situation it didn't contribute anything especially useful, but this was a very limited experiment.

6th March 2012

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by VictorM

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5

Someone already stated the technical specs of the mic so I'll go straight to personal impressions.

I use it as my main vocal and guitar mic, and these are the only things I record in my small studio. It's great on vocals, mainly males but also works for some females. The female singer in my band tends to have a very high pitched timbre and it doesn't flatter her quite so well, making it sound harsh, but I can still find enough space to maneuver and sculpt her voice nicely to fix in the mix (example of song recorded with the 4047, both on the vocals and guitar: Yoon - The mirror can't hear you by yoon. on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free ). It's great on darker sources, the bottom end gets warmed up and rounded very well and the highs are still present and very pleasant. I did a kind of audiobook project with it and it was perfect for this.

I would have liked more polar patterns on it, but I guess the price would had went a lot higher. It's still a great bang for the buck, it has a fine build quality and the shockmount does a good job and looks great. I recommend you to keep this one as a guitar and male vocals mic and definetly have another one nearby for overly bright female vocals.

19th March 2012

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by pjarrett

I just got one of these second hand. Really a nice microphone. I was dreaming of a TLM 49 but saw the AT 4047 pop up on craigslist. At first I thought it could be a bit sibilant, put a sock it and that helped quite a bit. I bet it would sound great with that UAD Apollo. Oh how I'd love to win that baby. Anyway the AT 4047 is a Japanese F.E.T. style studio condenser microphone that has a dual diaphram design, precise polar pattern definition and wide dynamic range. So far it sounds clean, clear, warm on vocals and acoustic guitar. At states that it is versitile and can be used on strings, instrument ensembles and voice overs. Voice overs makes sense because many people compare it to a Sm7b. Along with other AT microphones in the 40 series you can listen to clips of thier microphones on thier website. Apparently Tony Bennet had his musical guest use it on a TV show and some other big stars are reported to use the AT 4047 sv. It is made of nickel-plated brass, has a acoustic element baffle and provides enhanced element stability. The vintage silver-matte finish is very nice but the shock mount elastic is a little tricky, especially when you want to play with the Switchable 80 Hz hi-pass filter and 10 dB pad. You push it through these two elastic bands and it grips but its usual hides the switches under the elastic. Might have been nice if the switches were on the front of the microphone. The microphone also picks up less noise from the rear which is great. With the sock on it it sounds something like a ribbon microphone. Take the sock off and open condenser. Maybe At should include a sock. All in all a very sturdy microphone with a great sound. So I guess if you drop it it will still sound good. I would recommend this to other slutz. Thanks for the great microphone, AT.

24th March 2012

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by Magic Alex

I'm happy to see that this mic is well reviewed. It really is one of my favourite mics. I'm not saying that it's a 'goto' mic; it's not. Sometimes it works, other times not so well.

As a previous review claims, it's a smiley face response! It's heavier at the highs and lows, so it works well if a vocalist has a nasally voice.

With the low-cut engaged, this mic is absolutely dead quiet.

In my opinion, it's an alternate vocal mic. I had a Brauner Phantom. That mic is brutally honest. So I may try the SM7B. If the 7b is too thick, the 4047 is next. But for me, I never tried it elsewhere.

I forget what I paid; $500-600. I stayed away from the 40xx series as I found them to be glassy in the highs, but after trying this mic on the right source, I became less biased.

Here is a sample. The voice is a professional broadcaster where I work. The pre-amp is some cheap little Roland USB mixer, so the 4047 isn't giving it's best example. No pop screen was used. Esses are a little exaggerated, and a screen would have helped.

http://www.terborgdesign.com/PhotoAl...047-Roland.wav

26th March 2012

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by monkeyxx

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5

The AT4047 is a very handsome microphone, and it sounds good. Like any high quality microphone, the careful engineer should be able to find at least one good use for it. I find the sound to be sort of "thick" with ample low end and good overall clarity, with a focus on the midrange, and a soft high end that has a sort of sheen to it. It has the familiar Audio Technica "grain" or "wool" to the sound.

On a kick drum, out in front of the resonant head, you can get a very natural presentation of the drum that's very different from the inside "beater" microphone that's typically used as a default. Sometimes I like to use this sound by itself, other times mixing it in with the inside microphone. I do always seem to have to use EQ to shape the sound, but, this is not surprising for me since I find drum mics to need EQ most of the time, other than some of the "pre-EQ'd" mics like an EV N/D868 or D112 that are already tailored for a specific sound on a specific source.

As a pair on drum overheads, in the Glyn Johns configuration, a lot of the low end and midrange of the kit comes through, and the cymbals sound very pleasant with just enough brightness and a sweet sustain. It's not a super-detailed sound, and transients seem a bit softened, but, it's very good for rock and roll drums. You might prefer a different microphone for very shimmery cymbal sounds or increased detail.

I've had great luck with this mic on a certain male vocalist with a distinctive whiskey and boots breathy/growly singing style, but this mic is not my first reach for a vocal microphone. It is excellent in this category in the price range, however, especially on the used market, somewhere in the same price range as the SM7B, and fantastic on the right voice.

I've also used this mic happily on bass amps and in combination with other microphones on electric guitar cabinets, where I found it a good mic to blend in with others using a 4 or 5 mics on one cabinet technique, which generally seems to allow me to find a huge or distinctive tone for electric guitar vs. using a single microphone. Using 2 or 3 mics can get there too.

I did not like it on acoustic guitar, finding the softened transients and high end to take away too much of those things that I look for most often in an acoustic guitar recording.

Overall a microphone with a specific tonality that has a few very good uses, excels on the right source, but not the most versatile, which is fine if you have other microphones for other things. Great for the price used, but I wouldn't pay full retail for one, since the price went up in the past year or two.

20th September 2013

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by konradfounded

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5

While i was locking for a 47 type sound I came across this great mic!
People kept recommending it to me but i always brushed it off and never took it to seriously, but then one of my colleagues left his at the studio.......

That particular day i had two rappers (first time clients) come in and request the usual u87ai. Me, not really being the biggest u87 fan, asked the guys if they would be willing to try a different mic. Even though they were a bit skeptical they went along with my suggestion. i dialed in the typical avalon sp737 into my focusrite liquid channel (yeah , yeah i know) that we have in our producer room and "hit record". It sounded fantastic. it really was "That" famous hip hop sound.
i didn't want to act to excited but after the artists came into the room to listen back, they were the excited ones, repeating over and over again "that's the sound we wanted". i know this sound to good to be true.... but that is EXACTLY what happened!

So now i own one

The marketing of this mic is a bit misleading though because it doesn't really resemble anything fet47, but it still kicks mega butt

28th February 2014

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by Krush411

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to review a major vocal plug in suite over the last few weeks.

For this review I used three microphones from every end of the spectrum. The MXL Genesis 2 which is a flagship tube microphone from MXL, featuring one of the best tubes in the world-a Mullard NOS tube. The second microphone was the new Rode NT1 which has their new HF6 capsule, backed by over 1 million dollars of research and development. Last and certainly not least, I got my hands on an underrated studio gem, the Audio-Technica AT4047/SV.

Let me tell you why this microphone is certainly not least-it was my favorite among the 3. The other two are also excellent microphones, and I will cover those in their own reviews, respectively.

So many times home recording artists go through the paces where they buy microphone after microphone, longing to find “the one” that magically suits their voice. And that is what it is all about, finding a microphone that pairs well with the vocalist and their natural tone.

Before receiving the AT4047, I was on a search for a vocal microphone that first and foremost offered a bit of “character” and “color” Many times on the lower budget spectrum of microphones, any added color is often unpleasant due to manufacturing compromises and poor circuitry which includes extended frequency responses that are often described as “harsh”

This is where the AT4047 separates itself from other microphones in its class. Certainly not a budget microphone by any means (899 street price) it sounds more expensive than it costs. It has a certain vibe in the lower end and a detailed high end without sounding hard on the ears.

A vintage vibe indeed with smooth characteristics that made it very easy to fit in a crowded mix. The real magic mic, ladies and gentlemen.

This was most certainly a win for my voice but I also wanted to try it on female vocals as well.

The AT4047 did not disappoint. The lead and backing vocals meshed perfectly and little EQ was needed.

I will also note that the shockmount that ships with the AT4047 is extremely well crafted and durable.

I would say if you are a home recording artist that needs a professional sound without completely breaking the bank, give the AT4047 a try.

I have spent thousands on microphones over the past 10 years. and I am happy to report that the AT4047/SV is my favorite microphone among all of them.

27th May 2015

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by pultech

In use, it so far seems quite smooth with a slight presence bump that has proved pleasing on my little Guild F-20.

That said, getting in just the wrong spot with an old Yamaha 12 string that has a rosewood back and sides brought out plenty of detail, but just a tiny bit too twinkly on this guitar.

Backing off a touch, or changing axis fixed that up well enough.

Proximity becomes quite pronounced, and this mic already has plenty of rich extended lows with a little rise... There is a HPF at 80Hz.

I have tried it on a couple of male voices so far, and the timbre is fairly natural sounding.

The rolloff at 18k keep this mic from becoming zippy or strident, and it did not seem to accentuate my frog throat.

Some one who knows how to really work a mic should, with the plump bottom end and smooth top, have no problem getting the sexy thing out of the 4047 SV.

This mic also sounds quite nice on an amp.

It's good and round without sizzle, and while I would stick a 67 on a clean or slightly saturated amp way before an 87, this is far less expensive than either and would get the nod long before an 87 as well.

As a plus, the 4047 was smooth as can be on a Deluxe that was heavily saturated, and had a TC Nova Drive pushing the input for a little extra drive.

The suspension mount that the 40 series come with are not exactly my favorite.

The body of the mics are held captive by sliding them into an upper and lower band of rubber which contact the mic in 4 spots at the top and two at the lower end of the body.

While these spider style mounts seem almost safe for an SDC, they leave me cringing slightly when placing a mic weighing nearly one pound in its grasp.

They certainly call for a few turns of cable round the boom once slipped into the mount.

For around $500-$600 street, this is a no brainer addition to the locker.

25th April 2016

Audio-Technica AT4047/SV by bobzz

I recently set up a small studio in my home and purchased a AT4047 mic after reading many reviews. I have the following mics in my closet:

DYNAMICS
GLS ES57
Shure SM57
Sennheiser e935

CONDENSERS
AT2010
AT3035
AT4047/SV

When reading the many reviews and discussions about microphones, it seems there is not much agreement about which one to buy. I believe this has more to do with the source and the room than the mic itself. That said, I made a test recording today with a couple of friends.

I am amazed how good the AT4047 sounds and how smooth it is. One test is worth a 1000 words (or more). Just note that this mic is a bit on the dark side. Not real dark, just a little. It gives a very full sound. In order to make it work for this particular recording, I added the Senn e935 which is known to be a very clear stage mic. The Senn mic was setup right alongside the AT4047 and the level for the e935 was set 6 dB down from the AT4047. A bit of EQ was added to the AT4047.

Well... I am just delighted with this mic and the setup I made. I agonized over the cost, and whether I really needed it or not. If I had heard a GOOD test recording, I would have ran out and bought it the same day, but I could not find one that was similar to what I am doing.

In any case, I recorded a couple of songs with a few friends today that you can listen to if you are considering this mic for your setup. It is located here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-35264909...-women-to-me-j

Look for "Shes Always a womann..." and "Yesterdayy".

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Audio Technica 4047SV condenser microphone
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search